X

New bike...starting problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bike...starting problem

I bought a 1998 Katana 750 for $1500 with only 10K last week ( I know the guy well, and that's what he bought it for a few years ago from his cousin for his first bike ). The guy that sold me the bike informed me the gas cap would not open because the lock was seized. Also, during the guy unloading it, it fell on the trailer and broke the choke lever on the handle bars. I ordered a new gas cap that doesn't require a key from eBay, jambed a large flathead screwdriver into the key hole and opened it. I also ordered a new choke lever from eBay. The tank was completely empty ( the guy ran it out of gas trying to get back home after stopping at a gas station and not being able to open the cap ) and the guy I bought it from said it hasn't been started for a few months due to the fact the tank was ran until it was empty and the cap was stuck. So I put some 93 in it and got the choke cable to where all I have to do is pull it to open the choke. It seems impossible to start. It starts to turn over a few times within the first five minutes of attempting, but then nothing. I go back to work tomorrow to see if the guy will come over and help me get it started, but just seeing if anyone can tell me how to get her going before then. Thanks in advance for any answers. Sorry for the long post, but I had to explain the situation.

Did you put the petcock on prime for a while before trying to start it?

Comment

I don't have the owner's manual. Which direction does the arrow have to be pointed for prime? Right now it's faced towards the front of the bike and it's been there since I bought it.

Comment

pointing front = reserve
        pointing down = on
        pointing rear = prime

put it on prime for a bit, and try starting it.

after it starts, turn it to the on position, and let it run awhile.

See My Garage for mods...
        T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
        Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Prime, fill the carb's then try to start. After it starts turn petcock straight down.

Comment

Working...
          X