X

4 days till I pick up my Kat!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 days till I pick up my Kat!!!

I'm freakin' stoked!! I finally get to pick up my '98 750 this weekend. I've got my trialer lined up, going to pick up tie downs at Lowes with my Father's Day gift card, and all I need now is some sage advise on what to do with a bike that has sat for well over a year and has some road rash.

Here's my game plan.

Once I get it home I'm going to pull the plugs and inspect them. While they're out, I'll pour a couple of tbsp of oil down the holes to loosen up the rings, in case there is an issue with them. The bike was garage kept, so I doubt anything is stuck.

Then drain out the old oil, and replace the filter while I'm in there.

After that the chain gets a good cleaning and inspection (I've downloaded the manual), then relubed with heavy weight oil. I think I still have some straight 50 wt in the garage. If the chain needs to be replaced, I'll do the sprockets too.

The battery will go on the trickle charge, and hopefully, it's not dead-dead, just mostly dead so I won't have to replace it.

Next, drain out the fuel tank and refill with new gas.

Tires... I'm gonna need some advise on this one. I don't know how many miles or years are on these skins, but I'm pretty sure my brother never replaced them when he owned it, so I'm going to say at least 3 years old. Don't know the tread quality yet. I'll post up some pics when I get it home.

Brakes will get a visual inspection, check the fluid for color and smell.

Now, assuming the carbs are in working order, and the valves are still in adjustment, I should be good to go right?

Over this winter I plan to do a complete tear down with a carb rebuild, valve lash, etc. Might adjust the ride height while I'm in there, because the last time I sat on it, I was doing the tippy-toe thing. I've got about a 30 inch inseam. Stupid stubby legs...

Anyway, I've been driving my wife nuts with all this Katana talk. I think she's sick of it already.

Oh, I also signed us up for the basic MSF course in August (closest open date). The only thing left to do is get my permit and gear.

Sounds like you have a pretty good starting game plan my friend.....Tires I think the limit on years is 5...So if ya got tread and they arnt cracked to crap you should be good...but go ahead and get those Pirelli Diablo Strada's on order, you will love them...I sure did....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Go through the undoing of storage on that page. You have a good portion of it on your list.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

The katana talk won't stop anytime soon. Be prepared to drive your wife nuts. I'm going over two months strong and still talk about the thing all day long! Congrats!
        WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Comment

It's great if you find a girl just as into bikes as you are....me and my girl talk bikes all the time....she loves bikes just like me....and she is willing to throw down a 1000 mile weekend on her own bike, not just on the back....and the best part is CHIC can cook! I've gotta keeper!

Comment

If you question the tires replace them.
            Many including myself will recommend the Metezler Z6s but there are many good tires out there for your new baby.

We have a whole section on tires... take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
              It's great if you find a girl just as into bikes as you are....me and my girl talk bikes all the time....she loves bikes just like me....and she is willing to throw down a 1000 mile weekend on her own bike, not just on the back....and the best part is CHIC can cook! I've gotta keeper!

I cant even get mine to get a helmet or a cheap jacket so we can ride, she said I should buy hers!!

I mean, its not like I bought a motorcycle, $500 in parts and gear or anything

Oh well, Ill probably get her a helmet anyway.

Comment

congrats on new bike in terms of lowering your bike there a member on this site his name is ne-oublie he sell the longer dog bones that you need to lower bike tip toe is no good you do not have total control of bike when you up on the toes you need to have your feet flat on the ground
                sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

tires: some mfgr listings say 110/70/17 as a replacement for the front. pre 750's seem to have came with 110/80/17's. get the 120/70/17 instead as the weight loads are higher, and if you have a mechanical speedo it will be closer.

Also get some SeaFoam to run thru your first few tanks of gas if you're not gonna clean the carbs up front. at least drain the float bowls.

AND, change the brake fluid, it has a nasty habit of turning to snot in the calipers.
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Thanks guys!

The wife is only mad because we can't afford her cruiser that she wants this summer. We'll see about that though. I bet I can find some Honda or something in Craig's list that we can afford.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post

does she have a sister?
                      The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.

From Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Comment

Going to pick up the bike tomorrow! I've got my tie downs, and some extra straps just to be on the safe side. I'll have some pics to upload when I get back on Monday!

Comment

Originally posted by newride View Post
                          does she have a sister?

yes married though
                          and doesn't ride your SOL!!!

Comment

My wife has a brother that rides, if you're into that sort of thing.

Comment

i think your pipe deaming on saving the battery but congrats on the soon to be new bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X