X

1999 katana 600 - Good deal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 katana 600 - Good deal?

Hi, I am fairly new to sport bikes in general, I have riden dirt bikes all my life and a few sport bikes on the road. I recently went through my local MSF course and passed, with flying colors lol.

I found a 1999 katana 600 with about 19,500 miles on it. It also is lowered 3" and stretched 5", has frame sliders. It also comes with 2 helmets, a bikecover new gloves and a motorcycle trailer. He has been the only owner and has serviced it regulary. All this for only $2,500!

The reason for the price is because he is moving from Florida to New Jersey and doesn't want to take it with him. I talked to him about a month ago when he was trying to sell it for 3,500 but no one wants it so he dropped the price because he NEEDS to get rid of it.

So my question is, is this a good deal, should I get it? Thanks for any help and God bless.

No chance I would get a lowered stretched kat 600 for anything other than parts. Lowered, are you short enough to need it lowered to get your feet on the ground? Stretched, does it really make enough power that you need the ginormous swingarm? (FTR, he would have definitely advertised the engine mods that went into the bike if it did need the swingarm.)

I vote for keep looking.
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

offer $500 if he doesn't take it walk away. A kat is not a bike that needs stretched in any way.
      Where ever, whenever I go for a ride, may I be joined by friends that have died.

RIP Cyber Poet, watch over us all Marc

Comment

I figured with the left over money I had I would put a stock swing arm back on. I also asked him about the lowering and he said he could put it back to stock again. I'm not all the short, right at 5' 6" or 7". The only engine mods I think he has is an after market exhaust. It's just so temping because of the price, after putting stock swing arm on I would save about 1,000 bucks.

Comment

well the swing arm would need to be replaced but you can raise the bike by putting stock dog bones on it. I wouldnt pass up a cheap bike just for that.

Offer 2200 bones are like 100 bucks and a used swingarm shouldnt be too much more than 200

here are some questions you need to ask. How many miles has it been since he had a carb sync and valve tune. If his answer is anything more than 5500 miles you need to throw him even less money. You should have valves/carbs done every 8000 miles which is a good chunk of cash unless you want to do it yourself.

If thats good check the tires and brakes.

If everything checks out id buy it. I have a 99 and i love it

Comment

I told him I would give him 2,300 for it, he said he could probably let it go for that but would have to think about it. This is a really hard deal to pass up. What would be the best place to get a stock swing arm?

Comment

fleabay? or arsenic might have one.
              Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

thats a good deal jump on that deal you can dog bones for 35.00 right here on this site from ne-oublie you are getting a lot for the money
                sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

If you like the look, doesnt matter if it has the pwr to warrant the extended swing arm. I will tell ya this though, all that extra doesnt mean anything on a trade in. A dealer would say take it off, as stock is easier to sell. That being said, a modded bike is only valuable to the person wanting those mods. You obviously know what bikes are going for in your area, and if you like the bike and think its a deal, buy it. I wouldnt hesitate to put some pressure on him. His thinking about it, might be he will sit a few days/week to see if he has any other offers. Tell him you found another bike and if he wont take your offer, then you need to jump on the other bike. Tell him your kinda hesitant about the extended arm, he might have the stock parts around. Ive never done that mod on a bike, but have to believe it needed a longer chain and brake lines extended right? keep that in mind when you figure the cost to remove it, if that is what your thinking. Good luck, and congrats on passing the test.

Ken

Comment

yeah, I have a stock swing arm , and stock dog bones too

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                      yeah, I have a stock swing arm , and stock dog bones too
                      Would you mind giving me a price on both of them with shipping to, Tallahassee Florida, zip code 32303? I am torn between this kat and an 02 CBR that I'm looking at.

I asked him if he still had the stock swing arm and he does not, the swing arm on there is the stock swing arm. He cut and welded it back together to make it 5" longer. So I would most likely be replacing that with a stock swing arm.

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

If you like it, then buy it.
                          2007 Honda CBR600rr
                          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                          sigpic

Comment

dude.... get the cbr trust me

Comment

$2200 do you like the look of a streach slammed Kat? If so then buy it!

Comment

Working...
                              X