Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Thinking about getting a katana. Need advice!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As to the Kat, I have been very pleased with mine. In the last year I have put nearly 18k miles (bringing the total up to 44k miles) on my Kat without mechanical failure. My bike has done everything I ask of it, and if I had it to do over again, I would make the exact same decision, except maybe I would spend a bit more time haggling on the price. My Kat is my primary transportation, so it handles everything from commuting to weekend jaunts in the mountains to medium distance touring. It does exactly what I want a bike to do, and allows me to be comfortable doing it.
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

my wife's nephew three years ago when we both got the bug and wanted motorcycles I told him about the katana how its a very forgiving bike and would be a great bike to buy but his friends had sports bikes and he liked the look of them well he brought a 2005 750 gixer fresh out of msf up to that point he has never ridden a motorcycle in his life he takes the bike out for a spin kicks the bike into first gear lets the clutch out too fast and down he goes now he scare to ride the bike the bike is three years old and he has less than 100 miles on the bike should have brought the katana
      Last edited by JBLUE; 06-22-2008, 09:44 PM.
      sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Originally posted by JBLUE View Post
        my wife nephew three years ago when we both got the bug and wanted motorcycles I told him about the katana how its a very forgiving bike and would be a great bike to buy but his friends had sports bikes and he liked the look of them well he brought a 2005 750 gixer fresh out of msf up to that point he has never ridden a motorcycle in his life he takes the bike out for a spin kicks the bike into first gear lets the clutch out too fast and down he goes now he scare to ride the bike the bike is three years old and he has less than 100 miles on the bike should have brought the katana
        Sounds like somebody could get a good deal on a 2005 gixxer.....
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuglyXJ View Post
          The Katana is a sport touring bike, it you want to go fast, wheelie, stunt or in general own a crotch rocket the Katana is not for you.

That said in defense of my bike, I must love denial. It is heavy yes, but that works for me as I am a bigger guy and would rather have a heavier bike. It is faster then most bikes on the road but it isn't a SS bike in any means, its a sport based cruiser. As for gas, mine is decent but I didn't buy it for gas mileage, if I did that I'd have a 250 or a scooter.

Given the choice beween the Ninja and the Kat, ride both and pick the one that fits you. The kawi is much lighter and more nimble but it is a sports bike, and yes I know the Ninja will best the kat at the pumps as well. Before you choose after riding them see if you can sit on them for a while, get used to the position, they are both simular but different. I looked at a Ninja 500 but liked the looks and feel of the Kat much better.

Not everyone needs a GSXR to enjoy riding. I have a friend that sold his 96 kat for a GSXR 600. Enjoyed the racing/stunting thing for a while but still misses the kat for the long rides and normal everyday around town riding.

In the end get what you want and don't listen to any of us.
          Excellent advice. I totally agree. It's heaviness is more confortable for me as as I am 6'4''. This weight is perfect if you are a beginner like me. I tried a Kawi and it felt more like my son's bicycle with a motor on it. I commute to work 40 miles per day and is very comfortable as a sport touring bike.

Comment

Thats funny, I just bought a 94 katana 600 as my very first bike a couple weeks ago. I'm a big guy too, about 250lbs, and wanted something sporty but comfortable and not too hard to learn on. I had to have the guy i bought it from ride it to my house, LOL i didnt even know how to take it for a test ride. But I've been learning ever since, and the kat 600 really is a great learners bike. Its fast enough to give a big adrenaline rush, but not too fast. It's forgiving.... but still corners really well.

How much would you be paying for yours? Mine was 1500, but has a horrible paint job, one of the fairings is cracked, bad front tire, hasn't really kept up on maintanence. I mean it runs great but I'm spending some time and money to get it up to shape.. Probably gonna repaint it this winter... but hopefully I'll be able to get my money out of it when I buy something newer, and maybe a little bigger.. But this one will last me for a year or 2, for sure, I dont see it getting boring!!

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
              He thinking of selling it??????

Dude the kat is a great bike for one reason a lot of people on here fail to mention. 2 up riding. It is comfortable for not only you but any ladies you want to have riding with you as well (though being your first bike it should take you a bit before you do any 2 up riding)

I am looking at a GSXr 750 or Busa for my next bike and my fiance and I have sat on them in the shop and all she said is that I have to keep the kat.

As for the bike being slow.....I find most on the supersports do not know how to ride it properly. I am not that great in the corners but I understand when to brake and floor it and as such normally beat out the others. Sure the bike will not wheelie or run the quarter in less then like 12 seconds but you can ride it around all day and live it up....
              I am a Penn State fanatic.
              Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                his pride would not allow him to sell the bike
                sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Originally posted by JBLUE View Post
                  his pride would not allow him to sell the bike
                  too bad I like the 2005 looks.......
                  I am a Penn State fanatic.
                  Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Working...
                  X