X

need some serious, but simple help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some serious, but simple help

so i decided to take the gas tank off right before i went to work so i could change the fliter when i got home. i didnt take the side fairings off cause i didnt see the need.(why follow the manual?) well anyways i pulled the tank off and the black knob that adjust on, prime and off fell off. i picked it up and it looked like it just poped back on. so i put the tank back on and tried to put the knob back on. it wouldnt go on so i tried to force it then all of a sudden gas started pouring out for a second and started to leak. so i got a screw driver and was gonna turn it to the postion it was on when it wasnt leaking and it started to pour gas again. i have to go to work but would someone please give me the steps to get my gas tank back on. i pulled the tank out and put the knob back on to stop the leaking but i dont know if it really did stop it or not.
    99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
    06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
    06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
    lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

What year Kat?
    -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
    -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

sounds like you might have moved it to PRI WHEN trying to force the knob back on.....
      you dont have to take fairings off just slide that blakc knob through the left side fairing

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

its a 99. i dont think i movved it to prime because while it was leaking i tried to move it both left and right and both sides would gush gas. now i have the knob on there and when i try to remove it gas comes out no matter what position its in. imma start a new thread in the how to section.
        Last edited by delkampg; 05-17-2008, 02:11 AM.
        99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
        06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
        06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
        lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

Comment

Sounds like a hole in the fuel line to me. Even on prime, the gas just fills the crank case- please don't ask me how I know, still a sore subject between my and my youngest son.
          96 Katana 750; 05 SV650N; 81 CB900C

Comment

Originally posted by Paul C View Post
            Sounds like a hole in the fuel line to me. Even on prime, the gas just fills the crank case- please don't ask me how I know, still a sore subject between my and my youngest son.
            Even on Prime it shouldn't do that. It sounds like you have float problems PaulC. It should only fill up the carb bowl and be stopped by the floats.

Sounds like a bad fuel line or a busted fuel petcock.
            Last edited by mharrison; 05-19-2008, 12:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
            -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

It sounds like you might have mucked up the diaphragm that's behind the knob, and it's stuck open now.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                It sounds like you might have mucked up the diaphragm that's behind the knob, and it's stuck open now.
                "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

I also think Steves is correct. The only time gas will flow without engine vaccum is on Prime.
                  Bike is sold

Comment

ditto to steves answer. you might have been a little rough tinkering with the knob.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                    X