No announcement yet.
X

First Drop :(

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 on the MSF course. I did the same thing with having my wrist bent ... and almost mowing down the instructor during the panic stop exercise. Lots of little things like that to learn -- and best to do it with somebody else's bike.

MM

Comment

so i will get critisized for this but me personally i have a tendancy to not use just two fingers for breaking but my whole hand..ive gotten pretty good at not adding throttle while braking and i pretty much never do it but i always put the clutch in just before i brake as well which is always a good idea but does make quick work of the clutch. im working on using the 2 finger technique, practice.

Comment

My MSF course told us to use all four...
        -2000 "750"

Comment

I like the two finger technique because it actually PREVENTS my palm/wrist from moving downward. I will look into adjusting the brake lever but I think this is fine now. I just need to work on smooooothhhhness with the front brake.

Comment

Braking during tigh radius turns helps alot, gives you alot more control. I was hoping to take it out in the neighborhood and into the alley. Less than a minute drive. But I decided not to. Maybe next time.

Actually breaking during turns is a really bad idea because it will cause the bikes suspension to shift and and the bike will become unstable and you will probably end up on the ground and picking your bike up again breaking in corners should be avoided unless you come into a corner too hot and you have no option other than slamming into a wall. the proper tequnique is slow, look, lean and roll on the throttle steadily leave the break alone.

Comment

Another piece of advice (not about braking though, that has been pretty well covered.)
              If you do drop the bike again do not just squat down and pick it up. That is a good way to hurt your back. Kneel facing away from the bike. Hold the bar with your butt against the bike and lean up and back into it. Makes getting it up easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Alley_Kat View Post
                Another piece of advice (not about braking though, that has been pretty well covered.)
                If you do drop the bike again do not just squat down and pick it up. That is a good way to hurt your back. Kneel facing away from the bike. Hold the bar with your butt against the bike and lean up and back into it. Makes getting it up easier.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPjYweKeiLk
                I personally like this video (but then again....I might be a bit biased )
                http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/motorcyclemama/archive/2008/05/13/motorcycle-training-video-how-to-pick-up-a-heavy-motorcycle.aspx
                - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
                  My MSF course told us to use all four...

mine 2....he got onto me all the time for just using 2 fingers....although i still do today.....

He's philosophy was 4 fingers are stronger then 2....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
                    mine 2....he got onto me all the time for just using 2 fingers....although i still do today.....

He's philosophy was 4 fingers are stronger then 2....
                    It's not just that - it's that alot of people use "odd" finger combinations.....i.e. leaving the index on the throttle and using the other three to brake.

also, say something would happen while you were braking with two or three fingers (instead of four) and you went down......what would happen to the lever ? it would get pushed into the bar....now if you had fingers between the lever and the bar I'd hate to think what would happen to them
                    - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Slim View Post
                      It's not just that - it's that alot of people use "odd" finger combinations.....i.e. leaving the index on the throttle and using the other three to brake.

also, say something would happen while you were braking with two or three fingers (instead of four) and you went down......what would happen to the lever ? it would get pushed into the bar....now if you had fingers between the lever and the bar I'd hate to think what would happen to them
                      I went and looked at your web page Slim.....CRACK KILLs! lol

kewl page btw....nice bikes....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

$hit happens... be glad is was a low speed drop and you learned something from it. This may save your butt when it really counts.

Others have provided good braking advice.
                        2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                        2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                        1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                        1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                        1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by hartsell61 View Post
                          Braking during tigh radius turns helps alot, gives you alot more control. I was hoping to take it out in the neighborhood and into the alley. Less than a minute drive. But I decided not to. Maybe next time.

Actually breaking during turns is a really bad idea because it will cause the bikes suspension to shift and and the bike will become unstable and you will probably end up on the ground and picking your bike up again breaking in corners should be avoided unless you come into a corner too hot and you have no option other than slamming into a wall. the proper tequnique is slow, look, lean and roll on the throttle steadily leave the break alone.

I was talking about REAL slow turning. Less than 5mph. Parking lot stuff. Half a jog kinda thing.

Comment

+1 on MSF course. Also they will mention the position your hand is in while giving it throttle. When you first get on the bike, your wrist should be slightly down, or level. That way when you reach for the brake, you are automatically closing the throttle instead of opening.

We all have the tendency to do just the oposite because it allows us to give it more gas, but you already know why that is dangerous, so

blah..blah..blah......
                            '04 600 GSXF

"Hope for the best, but expect the worst. You will always be prepared, and never disappointed."
                            ME.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                              +1 on MSF course. Also they will mention the position your hand is in while giving it throttle. When you first get on the bike, your wrist should be slightly down, or level. That way when you reach for the brake, you are automatically closing the throttle instead of opening.

We all have the tendency to do just the oposite because it allows us to give it more gas, but you already know why that is dangerous, so

blah..blah..blah......
                              I like that. That is some really good information. Unfortunately the next MSF course isnt for another month in my area.

Comment

Working...
                              X