Gas tank switch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank switch

Hello
    i have this GSX600F i got a few weeks ago, it had aftermarket or replacement fairings on it and it was rattled canned.
    i wanted to know if someone can simply tell me which way is what on the Petcock from reserve to ON.
    (looking straight at it) i think 6 o'clock is OFF, but is it 9 o'clock for ON and 3 o'clock RESERVE??
    it seems the search button doesnt like 3 letter words.... thanks for answering this stupid question for me
    Last edited by 4g vtec; 05-06-2008, 11:15 PM. Reason: oops
    97 GSX600 w/ 9,363mi = $300 (Deal of the century)
    94.5whp on a Dyno Dynamics

3 o'clock is prime 6 o'clock is run (on) 9 o'clock is reserve. There is no off. Also btw it's called the petcock, I know it's a funny name but that is truely what it is called.
    Last edited by TheWrightKat; 05-06-2008, 11:03 PM.
    '06 600 Katana
    http://www.facebook.com/herb.wright
    Official Member of the I Own A 98+ But I Think Pre's Look Good Also Club

Originally posted by Kreylyn
    Okay.... Have you have figured out some way to make the bottom of your bike and the top of the bike closer together... maybe put it under a steam roller or something?

Comment

Originally posted by TheWrightKat View Post
      3 o'clock is prime 6 o'clock is reserve 9 o'clock is run. There is no off.
      thank you....
      whats the intended purpose of the prime?? the way vacumm feeds the gas?
      i have read that on carburated motorcycles is not wise to leave the bike on any other than ON when not in use....????

Comment

Originally posted by 4g vtec View Post
        thank you....
        whats the intended purpose of the prime?? the way vacumm feeds the gas?
        i have read that on carburated motorcycles is not wise to leave the bike on any other than ON when not in use....????
        First let me say I goofed 6 o'clock is run and 9 o'clock is reserve. The prime position does just that it primes the carbs. The only time this is used is if you've run the bike completely out of fuel, let the bike sit so long the fuel in the bowls has evaporated, or you have cleaned the carbs and therefor the bowls are empty. Prime should only be used for a short period I believe the general rule is 15 seconds or 30 seconds not quite sure which although I am sure someone on here will chime in with the answer.

Reserve is used if you run your fuel too low while in the run position that you run out of fuel.

In a perfect world the only position you will ever use is the 6 o'clock run position.

***pic courtesy of arsenic
        Last edited by TheWrightKat; 05-06-2008, 11:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        '06 600 Katana
        http://www.facebook.com/herb.wright
        Official Member of the I Own A 98+ But I Think Pre's Look Good Also Club

Originally posted by Kreylyn
        Okay.... Have you have figured out some way to make the bottom of your bike and the top of the bike closer together... maybe put it under a steam roller or something?

Comment

thank you very much
          that cleared everything for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWrightKat View Post

Reserve is used if you run your fuel too low while in the run position that you run out of fuel.

In a perfect world the only position you will ever use is the 6 o'clock run position.

***pic courtesy of arsenic
            Unless you're cruising down the highway and forgot to get gas earlier, the bike starts cutting out at 90mph, you reach down and turn the knob
            to reserve without even having to stop

This happened to me a week ago
            2007 Honda CBR600rr
            2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
            sigpic

Comment

????

i just bought a 99 katana 600 and its sitting on 9 o clock, it has been since i bought it. i have put gas in it twice now the gauge works and everything. what is the consequences of running on the reserve? is it the same as the on position but when i run out of gas i wont have any left?
              99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
              06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
              06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
              lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

Comment

the consequence of running out of fuel when on reserve.....

is having a long walk to the next petrol station ..

reserve is there to warn you that you are running low on fuel..

b.t.w.
                it's a "fuel tap", only you folks that drive on the wrong side of the road invent names like "petcock", a "petcock" is a large friendly male chicken
                it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

plus running on reserve means you are using the dirty cootie filled gas that sat in the reserve tank for god knows how long

Comment

Originally posted by giftedwon View Post
                    plus running on reserve means you are using the dirty cootie filled gas that sat in the reserve tank for god knows how long
                    It's all the same gas in the same tank... the reserve line just taps off at a lower point in the tank.
                    sigpic
                    Submariners Do It Deeper!

Comment

Is this like deja vu or what?
                      Try to search a little.
                      Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
                      '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
                      '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                      '11 Kawasaki KLR650
                      I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

Originally posted by MMCdude View Post
                        It's all the same gas in the same tank... the reserve line just taps off at a lower point in the tank.
                        Water has a very low solubility in gasoline, and it is also more dense that gasoline, therefore it usually sits at the bottom of the tank, along with most of the other crud that tends to find its way into the tank.

IMHO, it is better not to use it at all, or to use it on a regular basis. Personally I use mine on a regular basis, probably too regular. I know that I can make it 20 mile + to work and back home, then to the gas station, then to the next gas station because the first was out of gas. (I live in a really small town.)
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet
                        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by Fox Fader View Post
                          Is this like deja vu or what?
                          Try to search a little.
                          everyone here is so helpful and you had to come and ruin it all with this unnecessary comment
                          i searched, and gas is a 3 letter word that the search kicks out

Comment

Sorry, that's the way it goes in forums, if I offended you, my appologies.
                            Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
                            '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
                            '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                            '11 Kawasaki KLR650
                            I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

Originally posted by Fox Fader View Post
                              Sorry, that's the way it goes in forums, if I offended you, my appologies.
                              no hard feelings, but since i am new here, i was starting to get a nice feeling that this place was very different from every other forum i belong since people are more "mature", to where things like that are getting quite old everywhere else...

Comment

Working...
                              X