Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What do you do for storage on your Katana, if anything?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do for storage on your Katana, if anything?

I bought this bike mainly to save on gas money so I don't feel so bad throwing money into my V8 SUV that gets 12.4MPG.

I have a book bag that I hope to be able to take to class with me since I am in college but I have a large XPS M1730 laptop that fits int he book bag and it gets heavy quick. I would also like to be able to run general errands on my bike but theres not a lot of storage on it. I was looking into the magnetic tank backs but I fingered I would ask around and see what everyone on here does, if anything. If you have pictures please post :mrgreen:
    Last edited by CStradling24; 04-28-2008, 09:52 PM.
    Check out me site and let me know what you think. Its a work in progress.

Just a thought but if you are carrying your laptop, you may want to avoid a magnetic tank bag.
    I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, thats what Dells Complete Care if for
      Check out me site and let me know what you think. Its a work in progress.

Comment

I've got a nelson rigg strap down tank bag for big things (not big enough for my 15.4 HP though), nelson rigg saddle bags (also no hp), and a small nelson rigg magnetic bag (gets a couple bottles of water)... Just as a note, if you get a magnetic tank bag, its really neat to be able to stick them to the side of the gas pump while you pump to get it out of the way. So neat even, that you forget that you put it there, and then go riding for an hour or so, and then its gone... You only do that once...
        None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
        -Robert Morrison

"
        well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Strapped tank bang, unclip it and take it with you. It's expandable, it'll carry 3 gallons of oil with room to spare.

Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
          '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
          '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
          '11 Kawasaki KLR650
          I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

I have large Nelson Riggs expandable saddlebags that are around 22" in length, but only use them when needed. I have the matching tail bag which I use along with them for extended trips.

I have the matching tank bag, but it's not magnetic, and I'd have to release a plastic fastener and swing it up every time I refueled. The real drawback with the tank bag is that it seems to hamper my steering and generally disbalances my ride, therefore I don't use it.

I will on occasion wear a $15.95 backpack (orange and black with flames for greater visibility) and eliminate the need for luggage altogether when I can.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Yeah, I'll backpack it too if need be. If I pull my straps up tight the backpack dosen't get heavy.
              '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
              '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

I have a good sized day pack i cargo net to the passenger part of my seat. I have a new Corbin Gunfighter with a detatchable backrest that should make this easier. if it's a grocery run or somesuch, i'll take the LTD, it's got saddlebags
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Yeah I miss the Panniers on my Aprilia Futura I had.
                  '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                  '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

I do the same with my VTX1300, Dumbluck. I installed some EZlocks and all I have to do is slide them on and slide them off (leather soft bags).

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

saddle bags are key for commuting. i find working around a tank bag annoying for around town

but i mostly use my North Face backpack for stuff, or a Timbuktu messenger-type bag for carrying the laptops around
                      1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

i have an ogio backpack that has a side pocket that is right against your back for a laptop, it also has a clip across the chest so it won't fall off. the laptop against your back makes it so you can hardly feel it.

OGIO is an innovative designer of bags with unique styling that is infused with intelligent designs.

I recommend it highly.

Comment

I just use a trusty backpack atm. I'd like some saddlebags eventually.....they look pretty sweet, and the tank bag's just obnoxious to me.
                          2005 Katana 600

Comment

I also like the Nelson Riggs Saddle Bags. Rode for years with everything either bungeed to the seat cowls or in a backpack. Wished I'd had the saddle bags then. They have various sizes to suit your needs. I have a couple of tank bags but none as convienent as these clip-on types I'm hearing about. But my one fall back is always a backpack. I have one that I can put a broke down AR-15, 400rds of 5.56(HEAVY), glock23,300rds of .40 and all my necessary range gear in and ride 10 miles through some decent backroads and combine rideing with gun club time. Where theres a will theres a way

Comment

Originally posted by jgust25 View Post
                              i have an ogio backpack that has a side pocket that is right against your back for a laptop, it also has a clip across the chest so it won't fall off. the laptop against your back makes it so you can hardly feel it.

OGIO is an innovative designer of bags with unique styling that is infused with intelligent designs.

I recommend it highly.
                              I use the Indigo Metro version of this. I also recommend it highly. I have a 17" Sony notebook, btw, and am usually carrying 3-5 schoolbooks on a daily basis, and we're not talking TV guide sized. I'm talking about 1-3" thick textbooks that are really heavy. Best thing about the Metro is the built-in spine protector. Ogio makes great motorcycle backpacks.

If you're not interested in the backpack route, might I suggest a tail bag? Tank bags can get too tall and obstructive of things like the speedo in my opinion (cuz I'm short), whereas a tail bag can carry 2-3 times the shiat, and you don't have to worry about viewing the dash or taking it off when you fuel up.

JMHO
                              -
                              -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X