X

got the Kat running

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got the Kat running

So why do they mark the plug wires 1234 and the firing order is 1243 yet you plug them in 1234 if that made any sense...i kept putting the plug wires in 1243 and i couldn't understand why it wouldn't run. But it sounds awesome with the gixxer cams!!!

The firing order is a description of when the cylinders combust. They don't fire in the same order that they are labeled. This is because the two pistons in the cylinders on the outside (1 & 4) go up and down with each other, and the two on the inside (2 &3) also match. When the number 1 piston is up, so is the number 4 piston. This also means that the number 2 and 3 pistons are down.

So, if number one piston is at the top of its stroke and it fires, both it and number 4 go down, driving 2 and 3 up. Now that 2 is up, it fires, driving 2 and 3 down. So, you see, if the number 3 cylinder fires next it won't be good for the rotation of the engine, since it's down all the way. In stead, the number 4 cylinder fires (since it IS up).

Here is a good illustration: it's a video of some kids pretending to be an engine. Notice how the kids standing in the back clap to signal combustion.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Also notice how their engine runs in reverse firing order from ours in that the interior pistons fire before the exterior ones (1-3-4-2). Finally, notice how each piston only fires every other time it is up. That's because this is a 4 stroke engine. When the piston is up and it's not firing, it's venting exhaust gas and preparing to suck in air and fuel.

And here's an illustration of an engine with the cam shaft shown. Our katanas have dual overhead cams, unlike this single one, because we run super high RPMs and need extra valves to get air in and exhaust out.

It's the reason you can put the pedal to the metal and go from 0 to 60 in seconds. But to the uninitiated, an engine can look like a jumble of metal and wires.

So there you have it. That's why the firing order is different than the spark plug labels.

-Cale

Comment

thanks, i know how the engine runs i was confused on labeling

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't trying to lecture you.

Yeah, the cylinders are just labeled 1-2-3-4 for convenience. That way you can say "I have bad rings on piston 3 and a broken valve spring on piston 4" and nobody has to work out firing order before they know which ones you're talking about.

Have a good one, man.

-Cale

Comment

dang cale tell him again...
          sigpicMy Kat Barks Like A Dog!boof boof.

Comment

Working...
          X