X

Dropping the bike next week

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping the bike next week

I am going to go ahead and drop my Katana about an inch next week. Will I need to replace the kick stand as well once this is done?

lol, Looking at the title, I thought for a second that you were planning on dropping (over) your bike... I would imagine that one ince wouldn't be enough to really make a difference. If it is though, could always bend (ahem, curve) the kickstand a bit to make the difference up. Just a thought, but I have no expereince with lowered bikes, so I might be wrong. Good luck though, gotta report back how she handles.

Comment

I drop my 1 1/2" in the front and 2" in the rear. And I cut 1/2" out of the kickstand and I need to cut 1/4" more. I really have to watch where I park. But they said as long as you don't go over 1 1/2" in the rear you don't have to cut it. But what I would do is drop it and see if you are comfortable with the angle just leave the centerstand on till you certain. Even with my setup I was still able to use the centerstand by myself. So you should too. And only weigh 185 and not that big.

I wrote and brief thread on lowering a 98+ 600 so check it out if you have have question front and rear.
      sigpic
      Update Jul 11 2014
      Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Yes, the Kat sits almost upright on the sidestand while stock. If you lower it, you might not even be able to get the sidestand down. I lowered mine (02 Kat, so I could flatfoot the ground) about 2-3" and the guy who did it cut the foot and some length off the sidestand then, welded the foot back on and painted it.
        sigpic
        Currant Toys...
        '02 Suzuki GSX750F
        '74 Yamaha MX360
        '69 Camaro

Comment

shoot im 147 and 5'7" so im a little dude!. i can barely reach the ground now

Comment

Originally posted by stratocastor80 View Post
            lol, Looking at the title, I thought for a second that you were planning on dropping (over) your bike... I would imagine that one ince wouldn't be enough to really make a difference. If it is though, could always bend (ahem, curve) the kickstand a bit to make the difference up. Just a thought, but I have no expereince with lowered bikes, so I might be wrong. Good luck though, gotta report back how she handles.
            Lowering the bike lower the CG. Which makes it really nimble. Less effect to make it lend. BUT the ground clearence is lessen. SO its a give and take. But I love my lower and Im 6,0. I feel super comfortable at a red light.
            sigpic
            Update Jul 11 2014
            Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

I'm a5'4" 115 lb gal and regretted buying this heavy, tall bike. I checked out this site, decided to lower it instead of sell it and now, I'm loving it! I still wish it were lighter but, it's a keeper!
              sigpic
              Currant Toys...
              '02 Suzuki GSX750F
              '74 Yamaha MX360
              '69 Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by stratocastor80 View Post
                lol, Looking at the title, I thought for a second that you were planning on dropping (over) your bike...

I thought the same thing.. "Why would you PLAN something like that!"

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by giftedwon View Post
                  shoot im 147 and 5'7" so im a little dude!. i can barely reach the ground now
                  Are you serious? 5'7 and you can barley touch the ground?!
                  Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                  18v Rigid Drill
                  Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                  New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

i can touch it but with a strain. i think my legs are just too short.

Comment

Originally posted by Gytrdunkat View Post
                      I thought the same thing.. "Why would you PLAN something like that!"
                      haha i had to check out what you were gonna do just with the title
                      New Ride

Sold Kat

Comment

I had this insane cramp in my right leg when I was riding once and I had to stretch my leg out. I love the look of lowered bikes but im pretty sure if my bike had been lowered like I want it that cramp wouldnt have gone anywhere and I would have been miserable.. that or I would have pulled over..
                        sigpic"No good decision was ever made from a swivel chair." General George S. Patton

U.S. ARMY

Comment

Originally posted by Cas_One View Post
                          I had this insane cramp in my right leg when I was riding once and I had to stretch my leg out. I love the look of lowered bikes but im pretty sure if my bike had been lowered like I want it that cramp wouldnt have gone anywhere and I would have been miserable.. that or I would have pulled over..
                          Lowering the bike doesn't change rider position at all. It only make the bike sit lower in the ground.

Look at my Signurture and Avatar that is my bike lower Front 1 1/2" and Rear 2" and to me in the bike it still look high enough. But when you sit on it. Its a big different in feel its so comfortable like a cruiser.
                          Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 03-31-2008, 06:26 AM.
                          sigpic
                          Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Rok_Stars_Bars View Post
                            Lowering the bike doesn't change rider position at all. It only make the bike sit lower in the ground.

Look at my Signurture and Avatar that is my bike lower Front 1 1/2" and Rear 2" and to me in the bike it still look high enough. But when you sit on it. Its a big different in feel its so comfortable like a cruiser.
                            By lowering the rear 2" and the front 1.5" you have changed the rider position. May not be drastic, but it is definitely changed.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
                              By lowering the rear 2" and the front 1.5" you have changed the rider position. May not be drastic, but it is definitely changed.
                              How?? You still physically sit on the same seat and your feet are on the same pegs. Is the 1.5" from the bars make that big of a difference on arm placement and cause you to sit up straighter?

Comment

Working...
                              X