X

Engine Lopes Between 2400 and 3300 RPM under light throttle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Lopes Between 2400 and 3300 RPM under light throttle

Okay I have a slight problem here. Before all of the mods, the 2001 Katana 600 ran perfect. I performed the header weld mod, added a d&d slip on, and installed a 5 degree ignition advancer. In any gear between 2400 and 3300 rpm's (cruising) very light throttle conditions the engine seems to lope a little. Kind of reminds you of a car engine that has an aggressive cam in it. The idle is near perfect but it does lope some at idle also. My question is...... Is this normal? What of the three mods would have caused this?

My thought is the ignition advancer is the culprit. But if so can it hurt anything? Has anyone else ran into his? Thanks in advance for any replies. I don't feel like this is a problem but I would rather be safe than sorry.
    Do This to Bike Thieves

Try turning the A/F screws like an 1/8th of a turn out, and syncing the carbs.
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

I agree
      you increased the air flow and made the combustion more efficient... it's going to be leaner
      I would go 1/4 turn richer on the mixture screws for a start might even need to go a tad more.
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
        I agree
        you increased the air flow and made the combustion more efficient... it's going to be leaner
        I would go 1/4 turn richer on the mixture screws for a start might even need to go a tad more.

I appreciate the advice. I would like it if someone could go in depth a little more. What may be causing this? I do not want to blindly start making carb adjustments without understanding what I am trying to counter by doing so.
        Do This to Bike Thieves

Comment

it's already stated whats causing it. INCREASED AIR FLOW. When you did the header welds did you jet?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            it's already stated whats causing it. INCREASED AIR FLOW. When you did the header welds did you jet?

No I did not jet. I am an auto technician (16 years, currently own 2 shops), but a little intimidated about jetting them myself. Probably not that bad of a job to do but often times when you start messing with the carbs you are in for a rough ride. Is the factory pro setup a "bolt on" kit? Have they already done the R&D to come up with the correct jets, or do they send you a box of different sizes for the "trial and error" approach? I am sure I can do the install myself, but definitely do not want to make anything worse.
            Do This to Bike Thieves

Comment

the FP kit is awesome, use whats in the box, thats all you need to do, the DynoJunk kit, thats a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                the FP kit is awesome, use whats in the box, thats all you need to do, the DynoJunk kit, thats a different story.

i have the Factory Pro kit right in front of me. they make it SO EASY
                1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Working...
                X