X

Suzuki Katana Scooter????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scout View Post
    As far as the -make- of the bike, my insurance card says GSX750F for my 2006. My 1995 Kat title said the same thing. My new one only has Katana badges, but my '95 had both Katana and GSXF on it. Can't explain that one.

Regarding the "tea pot" reference, and the expressed opinion that those of us with post '98 models are riding disgraceful "sticker" bikes I say this: Would it be a shame that someone riding a 2008 'Busa does so, because the seat, or fairngs were changed? Does that make it a different bike? No, it makes it a re-worked, *improved* bike. I guess anyone driving the new Mustang is a disgrace to those with mid 90's models, eh? Personally, I think my new Kat looks better by leaps and bounds over my '95 Kat. And anyone that thinks that I ride a "shameful sticker model" can kiss my d*ck. That's just as ridiculous as me saying "Yeah, those older Katanas are outdated junk yard rejects, and everyone riding them should be embarassed."

You've gotta be kidding me. How pointless an arguement to be having. And here I thought this was a cohesive community. Yet, it seems to be divided over something as petty as plastics, or year. Now that is the shameful part of this...

Okay, that's a tad bit of an emotional response. I think you may have read more into the posts then what was really there. Personally I read it as members poking harmless fun at other members and that happens alot in this cohesive community - it is a healty relationship, even Dr. Phil said so . We all have our opinions regarding pre vs. post, the big kat 1100 (wish I had one) and the vintage kats. Anyway I think you will see that you may have over reacted a bit (IMHO) so just dude it's all cool.
    R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Not emotional...analytical, mostly. Well...ok, it was also emotional. But in my defense, I've become sick and tired of all the quibbling about, and between, riders. Last year, I hit a guy in a convenience store parking lot for gloating that he had a Ninja, and I was on a "can-a-tuna." Granted, he was an aquaintence of mine, but still. And I've heard that "sticker bike, tea pot" crap before too, and was just at wits end when I read it here. I thought we were all better than that.

Good natured ribbing, joking, playful insults, little witty jabs at each other are ALL good to go with me. I have a lot of fun doing those things. But, the issues being referenced here...well, I've never been addressed in any good natured fashion about those, so I automatically went to a hasty perimeter and started returning fire. Guess it's my conditioned response.

Sorry for getting all "boo hoo" and emotional with my earlier response, everyone.
      ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
      チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
      Semper Fi

Comment

the best part is that the teapot argument wasn't even based on 98+ kats. It was aimed at both pre and post 98 kats, and in my opinion was a valid parallel with the vinatge kats vs the "teapots" and the teapots vs the scooter (teacup??).

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I think you done good, Scout!

"A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet."---Juliet Capulet (paraphrased)

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

i agree that we should all be happy to have any kat we can and chose to ride i just think that a katana scooter is kinda silly and embarassing to me that suzuki would use a name they already have in use be it one country or another. i'm not totally against the scooter comunity i mean i still got the little honda express scooter that i delivered papers on at 9. Granted i don't ride it but i thought it was cool at the time and i didn't need a liscence to ride it. Now i realize i probably should have worn more safety equipment and not been so silly jumping things with it. But we all gotta start somewhere. I just think it would be a shame for one of us to take our kats over seas to like the autobahn and get made a mockory of for calling it a katana cause thats a scooter to them. just my thoughts cause id like to take my kat over there and legally see what she could do.
            1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
            1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
            Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

Every year at BIR they have "Pit Bike" races. everything from mini dirt bikes, mini bikes, to full blown skooters. It's a major hoot. they use the go kart track and just fly, braking hard into the corners, sliding, and pinning the throttle coming out. The gorilla suit and the chicken suit guys are pretty darn cool, and you can bet everyone has their racing leathers and helmets on. You dont see any of these guys ashamed as they're cruisin from corner to corner around the track watching the other racers when they're not out on the track themselves. BTW, that little old guy in his bermuda shorts and flip flops was prolly on his way to makin whoopie with one of the local widdows (your auntie?) and is getting more than you (Laughin)
              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                Every year at BIR they have "Pit Bike" races. everything from mini dirt bikes, mini bikes, to full blown skooters. It's a major hoot. they use the go kart track and just fly, braking hard into the corners, sliding, and pinning the throttle coming out. The gorilla suit and the chicken suit guys are pretty darn cool, and you can bet everyone has their racing leathers and helmets on. You dont see any of these guys ashamed as they're cruisin from corner to corner around the track watching the other racers when they're not out on the track themselves. BTW, that little old guy in his bermuda shorts and flip flops was prolly on his way to makin whoopie with one of the local widdows (your auntie?) and is getting more than you (Laughin)
                that comment makes me glad my relitives don't live by me but thanks anyways
                1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
                1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
                Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

Last year, I hit a guy in a convenience store parking lot for gloating that he had a Ninja, and I was on a "can-a-tuna."
                  Dude, you need to rise above comments like that. You can take comfort in the fact that you're paying less money for insurance and you'll actually be able to ride it for longer than 30 minutes without becoming stiff and sore.

It doesn't matter what bike you have, no matter what there will always be someone with a bike that's bigger, newer, sportier, or more expensive that will be there to make everyone else feel like their bikes are worthless. Rise above it. Even when I was riding my KZ440 that didn't ever run properly, I still took comfort in the fact that my bike was better than all my friends bikes, because they don't even have bikes. They can only dream.
                  My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post
                    Dude, you need to rise above comments like that. You can take comfort in the fact that you're paying less money for insurance and you'll actually be able to ride it for longer than 30 minutes without becoming stiff and sore.

It doesn't matter what bike you have, no matter what there will always be someone with a bike that's bigger, newer, sportier, or more expensive that will be there to make everyone else feel like their bikes are worthless. Rise above it. Even when I was riding my KZ440 that didn't ever run properly, I still took comfort in the fact that my bike was better than all my friends bikes, because they don't even have bikes. They can only dream.
                    Well said in whole. I think we have all been ribbed by the SS guys out there but I have found a common parallel with those guys... They are not bike enthusiasts as much as they are narcisists. With that said any dough head will probably never leave their universe to learn that there IS a scooter called a 'Katana'.

Okay so Suzuki made a scooter by the same name as the bike you own and love, oh well I know I can get over it. Funny enough, at some bike nights at the local bar amongst all those horny looking SS bikes I hear the hotties say I really like that blue bike over there (pointing at my kat).

The whole 'teapot' thing I don't get. This is the first time I have actually heard the reference and quite frankly I don't see it.
                    R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Not emotional...analytical, mostly. Well...ok, it was also emotional. But in my defense, I've become sick and tired of all the quibbling about, and between, riders. Last year, I hit a guy in a convenience store parking lot for gloating that he had a Ninja, and I was on a "can-a-tuna." Granted, he was an aquaintence of mine, but still. And I've heard that "sticker bike, tea pot" crap before too, and was just at wits end when I read it here. I thought we were all better than that.

Good natured ribbing, joking, playful insults, little witty jabs at each other are ALL good to go with me. I have a lot of fun doing those things. But, the issues being referenced here...well, I've never been addressed in any good natured fashion about those, so I automatically went to a hasty perimeter and started returning fire. Guess it's my conditioned response.

Sorry for getting all "boo hoo" and emotional with my earlier response, everyone.
                      well if you are so sick and tired of it, then stop contributing to it. I mean seriously....actually hitting a guy over it? Sounds like someone is a bit too sensitive. The teasers usually go after those that they know they will get a response from, and you sound like the prime target.

the reality of this subject was that I was just letting you know that in the same way you all laugh at that scooter, there are other "breeds" of katana owners who laugh at your katana. If you can't accept this, or live with it....well, you might wanna think about getting a different bike.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post
                        It doesn't matter what bike you have, no matter what there will always be someone with a bike that's bigger, newer, sportier, or more expensive that will be there to make everyone else feel like their bikes are worthless. Rise above it.
                        I agree with this mentality.... no matter how sick your **** is.... there will always be somone else that rolls up next to you at a light with somthin sicker.... i cant count the number of times i have finally finished moddin out a bike or a car and when out for joy ride only to have a brand new (fill in the blank) pull up next to me and for a few seconds i feel like my stuff is worthless... but at the end of the day as long as you can open the garage and be like hell yea, thats what matters to me....

OH and that its FAST... (if its a panty dropper, that dont hurt neither) LOL....
                        THE EMAIL BANDIT
                        F4 I stunted out
                        Cbr900 (low and stretched)
                        MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

I was NOT attacking the whole scooter subject. It was the Pre verse Post 98 Katana references that I was objecting to.

At any rate, the incedent with the guy I punched, well, he deserved it. He'd been calling me out repeatedly that night, in front of his "boys" and to make matters worse, he finally commented "See? Even those supposedly tough a$$ Marines ride wuss bikes. You dumb a$$ed Marines aint so tough or smart, or you wouldn't have bought that piece of $hit, would you?" What was I supposed to do? Let him run his filthy little pie hole? I don't think so. If it was good natured, or he was a veteran, I'd have taken it as ribbing...but he's a non rate, never served, disrespecful civilian (no offense to civilians in general) and honestly, he apologized to me, shortly thereafter, in front of his "boys." Seems I solved the issue swiftly, and effectively. I don't hate him...as I said, he's an associate of mine, still. He just thought having a Ninja would make him invincible...or something.

I enjoy all of you here still. I even promoted the board today, to a Katana rider I came across while out riding mine. No hate here...just frustration at what I percieved as quarreling, or one-upmanship, I guess.
                          ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                          チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                          Semper Fi

Comment

I enjoy all of you here still. I even promoted the board today, to a Katana rider I came across while out riding mine. No hate here...just frustration at what I percieved as quarreling, or one-upmanship, I guess.
                            well once you have been around a while, you will recognize the quarreling and one-upmanship as nothing more than as a little "ribbing" amongst buds.

I myself am pretty flexible. I own a classic 83 1100, an 86 750, a 92 and 93 1100 kat....and I will tolerate being seen riding with anyone with a teapot
                            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I was NOT attacking the whole scooter subject. It was the Pre verse Post 98 Katana references that I was objecting to.

You just wish you had a pre 98 Kat, thats all

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

You guys are hilarious!

Are 90's Mustangs disgraced by the 21st century ones? Are Fox-body Mustangs disgraced by the 90's? Mustang II's by Fox-bodies? 70-73's by Mustang II's? (Actually, this holds some water) Early (65-68's) by 70-73's because they got so big?

To quote another Shakespeare play, this is really much ado about nothing (I like the histories and dramas the best, but the comodies are always fun.)

And what happens when a Katana scooter rider wants to join Katriders.com? He/she gonna be turned away, or shamed and made fun of until they leave??? Sure, scooter people are different from us- they may not be our brothers and sisters- but they sure are cousins. How 'bout a little love for your cousins? You know you always thought she was cute...
                                "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Working...
                                X