X

How depressing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How depressing

Well the temperatures were finally nice enough to sneak a ride in. I got home from work, threw the battery in and started cranking. That's about all that happened. After about 5 minutes (cycling 20 seconds or so each time) the battery started to get weak so I gave up. I started to put things away when I was rewarded with a backfire so loud it almost knocked me on my a$$. I still can't hear anything but ringing through my right ear.

Is it possible the fuel in the bowls has gumed up after only a month? I put stabilizer (that absorbs water) in the full tank of fresh fuel before covering her up a month ago...
    My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Did you start the bike after you put the stabilizer in? I would imagine it would take 2-4 min of idling for the carbs to fill with the stabilized gas. Also if your float valves aren't new they may have worn out/dried up to the point that your bike is getting flooded from sitting...

Comment

Yeah, I put the stabilizer in the tank after I got to the gas station right before I filled it.

sigpic

Comment

Hrm, i'd probably get the battery charged up nice (the faster you can crank it, the better chance you have of starting the motor) I think last year it took me quite a while to get it started after winter. I think it probably took 5-10 minutes of fiddling with it. I usually choke all the way up, clutch in (safety first!) hold the brakes and hit the go button while giving it a little more gas. It usually starts pretty quick after being dormant using this method for me.

Comment

I'll get it going again I'm sure... but not anytime soon. They're calling for winter storms for the next few days again. Temps well below freezing, and lots of snow. Bummer...

sigpic

Comment

My next door nieghbors FZR600 backfired when I was standing about 10 feet directly behind it. I thought world war III was starting. It scared the ba-jessus out of me!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Did you turn it to PRI for about 10 seconds? Open up the choke?
              Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Anytime I have let my bike sit more than a few (3) weeks, it seems to become a hard start. Would have to set it to PRI, to get the fuel down to the carb bowls. I have learned if I start it and let it warm up at least once a week, there are never any starting issues.
                It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

After letting my Kat sit neglected for a few weeks due to the weather, setting the valve to PRI for 30 seconds and then a few twists of the throttle and the choke set about 1/4, she lights right up and purrs. Try it!
                  2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                  2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Never had to switch it to PRI this year.

I went in every few weeks to start it up and let her run for a few minutes.

Last month the battery got low, so I took it out, charged it, put it back in and everything started just fine.

I never let the bike sit for over a month without starting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                      Did you turn it to PRI for about 10 seconds? Open up the choke?
                      Yeah I had it on prime for about 20 seconds before trying anything. I would start it once in a while, but I don't want to start it when it's below freezing. Constantly starting it up and letting it cool down is bad for the exhaust piping. The condensation will build up inside the pipes and not dry out, causing rot. I don't know if that's a huge problem with bikes, but I know it is with cars.

sigpic

Comment

well oil cooled carborated bikes (especially katanas) dislike cold. But i cant really give you a good reason for the backfire. Good luck!

Comment

Mine does the same, I normally have to put it on Prime for a bit, full choke and then try starting it. Normally she needs the choke in cold weather, but if she's been sitting more than a few weeks prime is a must.
                          Kyle

Comment

Working...
                          X