X

Much better looking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Much better looking

So I finally got around to installing the undertail I purchased over a year ago. I have to say that it has cleaned up the rear of the bike considerably. Fairly straight forward install. Thanks to teddy for a post in a thread with froggy about putting the tail fairing on before drilling the holes. The way I had it before would have caused problems.

2 problems.

1) I forgot to mount the igniter assembly. Didn't even drill the hole for it. Noticed it hanging from the bike after I had already attached the tail for the day. Now I'll have to wait until another nice day. Going from 60 to 34 between today and tomorrow.

2) Not a lot of mounting points for the undertail. The only places is mounts is to either side of the battery and to the tail itself. The only other mounting point is off just enough that I'm afraid to drill and have it mounted incorrectly or put too much stress and crack something.

One thing I'm not fond of is losing the tool storage right in front of the battery. I can live, though. There are two tabs right there that I'm going to make a small box to attach to for my paperwork and a small set of tools.

One other problem I had is not being able to drop the rear wheel. It scratched the sides of the tail putting it in. Not a huge deal because you won't be able to see that portion anyway, but frustrating when I repaint the bike this spring. I can't even pretend to remove the lower dog bone mounting point without an impact wrench. I might try the 3 foot iron pipe I have, but I'm not placing bets.

All in all, a nice upgrade. I'll posts pics tomorrow after I get home from work.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Originally posted by brooder View Post

One other problem I had is not being able to drop the rear wheel. It scratched the sides of the tail putting it in. Not a huge deal because you won't be able to see that portion anyway, but frustrating when I repaint the bike this spring. I can't even pretend to remove the lower dog bone mounting point without an impact wrench. I might try the 3 foot iron pipe I have, but I'm not placing bets.

All in all, a nice upgrade. I'll posts pics tomorrow after I get home from work.
    So your saying if I do this mod no more idea of lowering the bike for the wife to learn to drive one day...
    sigpic
    Update Jul 11 2014
    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

No, you can still lower the bike. In order to not tear up the sides of the undertail on the frame, it's a good idea to remove the lower dog bones mount in order to let the swingarm drop and in turn, the rear wheel. I couldn't do that.
      -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder View Post
        No, you can still lower the bike. In order to not tear up the sides of the undertail on the frame, it's a good idea to remove the lower dog bones mount in order to let the swingarm drop and in turn, the rear wheel. I couldn't do that.
        O ok. Now its making sense.
        sigpic
        Update Jul 11 2014
        Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Please, allow me....

R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Originally posted by JZ67 View Post
            Please, allow me....

Comment

When the temps rises above "freeze the crap in my butt" I'll get out there and snap some pics. But it looks like it might be a couple of days. The problem isn't the temp, it's the wind.
              -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Look forward to seeing this.

Comment

Alright. Finally got the pics.

Huh...just noticed that I hadn't taken the masking tape off the back end yet. But now I remember that I still don't have it held in place any other way just yet.
                  -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

looks awesome man. Thanks for the pics.
                    Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
                    www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

That looks good, I'm still debating that or a hugger. I will probably end up with both in the end.
                      myspace
                      2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

those two tabs are what your cdi mounts to...take it off the stock bracket and those tabs slide in the slots of the rubber grommet surrounding it

looking good!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Working...
                        X