X

Clock question (pre-1998's)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clock question (pre-1998's)

Did any of the pre-98 Kat's have a factory in dash clock? My '89 750 doesn't have one and I want to add one. Has anyone done a retrofit with success or purchased a good aftermarket digital clock?
    My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Pre's did not have a clock. I got a nice one at an Auto parts store and added it.
    It fit nicely at the top of the dash (above the arrows).
    Here is a picture of it (I painted it black)
    It takes a AAA battery and has a back light. Pretty cool for like $3

Comment

as far as I know, only the 1100's had the clocks. damn good ones at that. I have had my 92 since 93, and it is still going strong on the original battery. that is 15 years of storage in cold winters....and hasn't lost any time.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
        as far as I know, only the 1100's had the clocks. damn good ones at that. I have had my 92 since 93, and it is still going strong on the original battery. that is 15 years of storage in cold winters....and hasn't lost any time.
        they use their own battery? that would sort of be cool. maybe that proves some sort of myth as if you put batteries in the freezer they last longer ha ha ha

I knwo some just use a watch around the bars. Actually i think i have seen some that go on top of the forks.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
          Pre's did not have a clock. I got a nice one at an Auto parts store and added it.
          Not bad , but I gotta wonder how it stands up to the elements .
          I'm one of those that has a cheapy sports watch strapped to the bar . Has a light , water resistant , and they usually seem to last 2-3 years .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
            Not bad , but I gotta wonder how it stands up to the elements .
            Well I bought the Kat in December of 2004 and adding the clock was the first thing I did...
            And my kat is a lot more "exposed" than most kats..

Comment

Yeah, what I'm after is something kind of like this, but I want something that's illuminated whenever the dash is. It's kind of dangerous to have to reach up and push buttons to light the clock when riding. Anyone know where to find a digital clock like this that can be hardwired?

sigpic

Comment

eBay has a bunch for Gold wings and such.. I imagine they have back lights.
                Since I redesigned the dash I think I'm going to replace the gas gauge with a VDO clock.. More useful anyway.

Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post
                It's kind of dangerous to have to reach up and push buttons to light the clock when riding.
                Dangerous? Actually the light button is the entire right side of the clock..
                While I advocate keeping your hands on the bars if you can't hit the hit the light on this clock while maintaining safe riding you need a lot more practice.. Or MSF training. In fact you ought not be removing your eyes from the road to read the clock if that is the case.

Comment

Could just put a flava flav clock around your neck, reversed, and look in your mirrors

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                    That looks awful familiar Peter.

Last edited by paradoxmd; 01-23-2008, 12:10 PM.

Long Live the D

Comment

Dangerous? Actually the light button is the entire right side of the clock..
                      While I advocate keeping your hands on the bars if you can't hit the hit the light on this clock while maintaining safe riding you need a lot more practice.. Or MSF training. In fact you ought not be removing your eyes from the road to read the clock if that is the case.
                      I'm not saying I can't do it safely or feel safe while pushing the button, I just prefer not to have to push a button at all. Call it lazyness I guess... I just thought the safety thing would sound better.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post
                        Call it lazyness I guess... I just thought the safety thing would sound better.

I set you straight there huh?!?!

Originally posted by paradoxmd View Post
                        That looks awful familiar Peter.

That exactly how I had it after I bought it!!
                        Holy ****..

I gave it to you didn't I??!

Ohhh good times.. Good times

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
                          they use their own battery? that would sort of be cool. maybe that proves some sort of myth as if you put batteries in the freezer they last longer ha ha ha

I knwo some just use a watch around the bars. Actually i think i have seen some that go on top of the forks.
                          ya.....you can remove the battery from the bike and it will still keep time.
                          In fact, the gage cluster is packed away in a box, still keeping time.
                          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

http://www.marlinsclocks.com/FSBC1.html

something like that would give you your time. at their main site has ALOT of other clocks and mounting options as well as other things like a compass.

I have a clock on my bike and i thought it was cool and all but i really don't use it much. My bike has the digital odometer, so i have to choose between time, trip 1, trip 2 and odometer. The only real time i find it useful is on the way to work, but then again I don't make it a point to break the law getting to work. my buttons to switch between the options is probably 5 time more "dangerous" than that of black peter's clock, expecially at night.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

I think I found what I'm looking for... Part # 148562

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X