Petrol leak

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrol leak

Hi folks,

My tank has a leak, its the original tank which is off just now as I have a friend with a spare.

I want to get the original back on as its the right colour.

Does anyone know of a good product to seal a tank internally? or externally?

Cheers

Monki

Welcome to KR!! You will find every question and answer about the kat here and ever answers to some questions you never wanted to know.

The product I have heard that is best is by POR-15. Can be found here: http://www.por15.com/?gclid=CISx88bXtZACFQONkgod9kjHFg

or even here

Also reference this:

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

that is a site from cyberpoet, a renown member here on the forum.

Other products people have used is a product called Kreem. I have heard that that product isn't recommended as it will come off after a couple months or years.

As for the outside of the tank, any type of paint. Even a typical rattle can will work. If you are wanting color match you can use www.colorrite.com to find the match. However people recommend using an automotive clear coat to protect paint from fuel.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Welcome to KR!! Happy Patching

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
        Welcome to KR!! You will find every question and answer about the kat here and ever answers to some questions you never wanted to know.

The product I have heard that is best is by POR-15. Can be found here: http://www.por15.com/?gclid=CISx88bXtZACFQONkgod9kjHFg

or even here

Also reference this:

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

that is a site from cyberpoet, a renown member here on the forum.

Other products people have used is a product called Kreem. I have heard that that product isn't recommended as it will come off after a couple months or years.

As for the outside of the tank, any type of paint. Even a typical rattle can will work. If you are wanting color match you can use www.colorrite.com to find the match. However people recommend using an automotive clear coat to protect paint from fuel.
        I don't want to be a jerk or anything, but did you actually notice that he said his tank is leaking?
        All that info you just posted is totally useless to him at this point as his tank has gone beyond what those links can help him with.

Once it actually starts leaking, other steps have to be taken. welding would be my choice, if possible. some people actually stuff like metal-flux or JB weld with decent results, but I wouldn't trust it myself.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

POR15 is what I sealed mine with.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
            POR15 is what I sealed mine with.
            how long ago? still holding ok? removed all the rust from the outside so it doesn't continue to rust?

I read the links quick, and all I really got out of them was that they will prevent leaks from happening. must have missed it where it said it would actually stop it.

anyway...no matter, I still wouldn't trust it myself. leaks are a sign of weakened seams and less structural integrity. nothing but a good solid weld would ease my worry that a dump would not result in major fuel spillage, and possible fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
              I don't want to be a jerk or anything, but did you actually notice that he said his tank is leaking?
              All that info you just posted is totally useless to him at this point as his tank has gone beyond what those links can help him with.

Once it actually starts leaking, other steps have to be taken. welding would be my choice, if possible. some people actually stuff like metal-flux or JB weld with decent results, but I wouldn't trust it myself.

yeah i noticed he said it was leaking. but he asked how to seal it. I took it as that seal it so it won't rust. But maybe he has a leaking fuel sender gasket or maybe a leaking petcock. The mentioned steps/products will seal the tank(as in sealing from rusting(and rust might not be his problem), but it won't patch the tank.

so i guess we need more info from the original poster, as in what caused the leak? and where it is leaking?

i am with mojoe, as if it is any other type of leak than petcock or gasket, welding would be the best, but i am not the one to say how to do it.

also i haven't heard much about tanks leaking other than caused by rust, petcock, or a gasket. but then again i am new to motorcycling and definately havne't seen it all.
              Last edited by BarMatt80; 12-20-2007, 06:16 PM.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

I see alot of tanks in my business of parting out bikes. I have a beautiful XJ750 sitting in my shop....at least beautiful from above. the underneath had 2 big blobs of metal-flux. you know....bondo made with metal filings. the tank was not leaking at all. but I took a screwdriver and pryed just a bit under the edge of the "patch", and the whole thing popped off with very little effort. so this lead me to believe that I could never trust something like that during the impact from a dump. I am going to have to weld it.
                I have welded a few tanks through the years. the absolute best way, imho, is with an acetelyne torch and a brass rod. a mig or tig might work well, but I never tried it. I like the control of a torch. you can flow the brass into the seam of the tank.

after doing that, then a treatment inside the tank would be an added bonus. but if you have leaks through the seams or other places on your tank, then that stuff is just a band-aid.

Comment

Working...
                X