X

Gearing Options?!?!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearing Options?!?!?

Okay, I'm an old school cager gear head. Had a 455 that had tons of torque and puch, especially w/ its 4.10 limited slip. Wound up trading it for a wife and kids...never have been a good trader!!!

Anyhow, given some of the comments about Kats having great top end but being a little soft down low, can the front / rear sprokets be swapped down / up a tooth or two each to punch up the bottom end without prematurely damaging / stretching / binding the chain?

I honestly don't care to ever exceed 100MPH or so but, especially for battling city traffic, punch is very desireable.

A buddy has a WeeStrom that he's swapping down a tooth on the front for a touch more top end without winding the V so tight but I'm obviously interested in going the other way.

Along the same lines...is the Kat's speedo driven off the front wheel & how accurate are they usually?

Please advise.

THANKS!!!

I believe the pre 98 speedo is driven off the front wheel.

However you can always change the gearing. Going down one tooth on the front will give you a bit more torque and put the revs a little higher and cut a little off top speed, but IMO great for city riding as the bike will get to top speed quicker. A larger rear sprocket is always an option as well and does the same as going smaller on the front or if you really want big gain do both. smaller up front larger in the rear.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I had 4.11 gears in my car and it made it allow more fun off the line
      Last edited by Zepp; 12-19-2007, 01:11 AM.
      2007 Honda CBR600rr
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
      sigpic

Comment

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Working...
        X