X

New Bike (to me) with carb issues.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bike (to me) with carb issues.

So I just got the 94 600 on saturday. When I got the bike the guy who I bought it from, said that the only issue was one of the carbs ran rich. I do smell gas. Thought well for the price I can afford to spend a few dollars, on getting that fixed. But after I rode it I noticed that there was nothing connected to the choke cable. Thought well, I wont have time to look at it till this weekend. So I am going to go ahead and get the cable lined up. But my actual question is (because i have never meesed with one of these) does the choke, choke all 4 carbs or only one? And would it be a possibility that the choke maybe partially closed, causing not enough air in to the throttle body? Like I said Ive never messed with one of these before, but I am not new to tuning or mechanics. I work in an industry that 70% of the time Im working on things Ive never seen before. Its liek go here and fix teh problem. And if anyone knows anything here about fords,you know I couldnt afford to haave someone else work on em. I have done all the work on my 93 explorer since I bought it in 2000, and all the work on my 88 turbo coupe. Which I had to learn from teh ground up. My dad know small blocks chebbies blindfolded, but had never messed with a turbo car let alone a turbo efi motor. Thanks guys Ive probably rambled enough. Any resonses, or feedback is greatly appreciated reguardless of how insignificant.

The choke is actually an enrichener . It opens a port at the top of the carb to let lots more gas in all 4 carbs .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I know what the choke does, it cuts air. What my question was, if there is no cable for the choke how likeley would it be that it isnt all the way closed causing the rich condition. After talking to the guy I bought the bike from again, he explained as to how it actually operates(since I didnt know). When I got home I checked it and it, seemed, to be fine. As in if I pulled the rod manually, it would instantly die, no other change in idle when I pushed it in. Im going to have to do soem more research before I go any futher. I do have a guy lined up to look at them when I get paid again. Thanks for the response!

Comment

Originally posted by charles94kat600
        I know what the choke does, it cuts air.
        Not on the Katana .
        You know it runs rich , and you smell gas . So here's what I'd do .....
        First thing , pull plugs .It's an EASY quick indicator as to whether or not something is seriously messed-up in there . If not all plugs are black , that'll give you an idea what could be up . Like if say 1 plug is black , I'd replace that plug , recheck later , and dive into that carbs if it get's black again (after of course checking that plug's wire to make sure the connection's good) . If say 1/4 or 2/3 are black , the it could be a coil going out . See manual for test values and check coil .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
        X