Rode my neighbor's Harley last night.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rode my neighbor's Harley last night.

Super nice guy.

Got a brand new ('07) Harley FLH or something like that....

He's been talking about it for a while and finally traded in his Springer for this one. Pretty bike - white pearlescent and chrome (of course).

He brought out the keys (actually a keyless ignition fob) and told me to take it around the block. I was surpised at how smooth it was. 96 cu. in. fuel injected V-twin. I was also surprised at how relatively smooth the clutch action and transmission were.

Soooo....anywho....I got about 8 inches out of his driveway before I scraped one of the floor boards as I turned on to the street.

Lesson 1: Turning this bike requires the same forethought as making turns in a car when towing a trailer. Not like the Kat where a sharp lean and a little throttle will whip you around any turn at those slow speeds.

Overall for the 3 1/2 minutes I rode it, it seemed like a very comfortable position - great for long rides - which is the only reason I'd consider a cruiser - something built for LONG rides with a hot blonde on the back...and I have one of those at home

However, I did not notice a tachometer. Not that I had room to wind it out or anything....but overall a nice bike. I've been riding for about 4 years and the only thing I've ever ridden is my Kat. It was good to feel the difference of a completely different bike.
    '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
    PurpleonBlack

Thats pretty cool that he let you take it for a spin. Most of the Harley guys I know (including my uncle) will not let anyone ride their bike. My uncle bought himself an 07 Soft Tail something or other. Nice bike, looks comfy and all but I will probably never know what its like to ride it. Oh well, cruisers just aren't my thing anyway.

Comment

Well, I've ridden my Brother-In-Laws Anniv. Edition Fat-Boy Harley, His Geezer Glide, and his Heritage Softail.

My personal favorite was the Fay Boy as it was a little rougher.The do handle a bit like a barge. But it was a super comfy riding position with a good suspension. However, the vibrations were a bit much. I got off of it after riding it about 250 miles and jumped on my Yamaha 750 Maxim to go gas it up and LOVED how much it DIDN'T vibrate!

I was the only one that ever rode the Fat Boy, so that was kind of cool. He even had a guy that washed them and gassed them up, so all he wanted me to do was be sure it had enough gas to get back to the station.

(The Brother-In-Law is a loaded lawyer with 2 jets, etc.)

I rode the Fat Boy when I wanted for about 2 1/2 years, then he gave it to the local sheriff.....I think it had something to do with convincing the sheriff that he hadn't been drinking and driving.....you gotta love Mississippi!
      -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
      -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

I thought it was pretty cool he let me take it, too. I felt bad about scaping the floor board...but he as laughing when I pulled back in.

"I've got 200 miles on the bike and I've probably scraped those 100 times myself" he said.
        '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
        PurpleonBlack

Comment

Working...
        X