X

Installed an ignition advancer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed an ignition advancer

I've been having some problems with the bike running rich since I bought it. I figured out the previous owner had installed a jet kit and before he traded it in swapped back to the stock parts leaving the jet kit.

The bike would really stumble below 3k, it needed no choke to start up on cold days and I was only getting like 35mpg.

I installed the slip on and it got better so it got me to thinking that it must have a jet kit so I ordered an ignition advancer from Dale Walker.

I got it installed last night and finally found some Mobil 1 MX4t oil around so I changed to that also. Put on my gear and went for a ride.

WOW the bike runs sooo much better, so much smoother, starts up easier and is just all around a better bike. I wish I would have done the advancer sooner.

It only took like 10mins to install. Once I took off the cover I could see reminents of the RTV that the previous owner used when swapping back to stock.

that's sweet! 8)
    nothing like having a smooth machine purring on the roadway . good call!
    One who is a Samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night... the fact that he has to die." -- The Code of the Samurai

Comment

Sweet, glad it worked for you, I may try one
      It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

I just got back from the local bike night, they had a dyno so I jumped in line to get a run in.

It came in at 67.3hp and 39 ft/lb. I will post the graph tomorrow when I get access to a scanner.

It was still running pretty rich. Made a nice black cloud of smoke after he let off.

I got a ton of compliments on the bike that night and the dyno operator couldnt stop talking about how comfy it was. Of course I had to pimp Kat riders

Comment

Originally posted by 87vert
          I just got back from the local bike night, they had a dyno so I jumped in line to get a run in.

It came in at 67.3hp and 39 ft/lb. I will post the graph tomorrow when I get access to a scanner.

It was still running pretty rich. Made a nice black cloud of smoke after he let off.

I got a ton of compliments on the bike that night and the dyno operator couldnt stop talking about how comfy it was. Of course I had to pimp Kat riders
          Good stuff. Now you will be even more addicted to a smoother running Kat!
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

here is the graph
            Attached Files

Comment

You should drill out the brass plugs and adjust the air fuel mixture on the carbs if you haven't done so yet. Mine used to pop on decceleration all the time until the carbs were adjusted.
              R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by katman05
                You should drill out the brass plugs and adjust the air fuel mixture on the carbs if you haven't done so yet. Mine used to pop on decceleration all the time until the carbs were adjusted.
                I havent touched the carbs yet, I believe the previous owner put a jet kit in it but havent confirmed it. its supposed to rain all weekend so maybe I'll yank off the carbs and check em out

Comment

Working...
                X