X

What is the ideal idle speed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the ideal idle speed?

Hey I just picked up my 99' Kat 600, and at first (highway speeds mostly) it idled around 1500. In the city where the engine runs hotter it idles at about 2000. Is this normal? On my last bike I had a quick idle adjust knob. I can't find it on the Kat. I've searched forum and can't find anything on this. Thanks a lot!

-Ben
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

I set mine at around 1K on the bike's tach. The adjuster is a black knob on the left side.

Comment

1200rpm's +-50

Per the Suzuki service manual.

1k is a little too low IMO.
      Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
      18v Rigid Drill
      Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
      New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Yep the knob is on the left hand side right near the carbs. Just look in those holes in the upper left fairing and it'll be a little 1/2" or so black knob.
        - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
        2005 F4i -

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
          1200rpm's +-50

Per the Suzuki service manual.
          Bingo.

Comment

Is that the same factory suggested idle on a 750?
            -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
            -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

Both the same 600/750
              Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
              18v Rigid Drill
              New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

the Service manual for 750 98+ says 1100+-50r/min for E-18 1200+- 100r/min. for the other countries. Is this cold cold idle or warmed up. Im assuming cold since it is listed in the carb synch section of the Fuel System 4-24
                sigpic

Comment

OWNERS manual for the 600 says 1100-1300rpms, and is to be set with the engine warm.
                  Originally posted by Owners Manual
                  Start the engine and warm it up by running 2000 r/min for 10 minutes...

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                  18v Rigid Drill

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, found the knob. I'm still getting to know the Katana, but so far I love it. I think the fairing on this bike is the coolest looking around, and people that don't know the bike assume that the engine is huge b/c of how big it is compared with those little super sports.
                    It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X