No announcement yet.
X

Oh no! Hit by car and crashed Katana. Need advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were you wearing a Helmet? A Harley? lol Don't do it... A friend of mine bought a sportster and he can't sell it, too many out on the market at overinflated prices. He recently bought a Triumph Speed triple and now the sportbike bug has bitten him real bad...
    "So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young"

Comment

What year is the bike, if that's all the parts you need, depending on the year, they probably won't total it.

Do you have a lien on the bike? If you do, they wont give you a check, repair is mandatory as you don't own the bike.

I had the same thing happen to me year ago...

Pretty much everything on the left side had to be replaced. INCLUDING the swingarm, it wasn't bent, just a couple scratches and I INSISTED that it be replaced.

What they will do is find out the value of your bike, it varies by location among year add-ons etc...

Then if the total repair cost is higher than a certain percentage, then they will total it out for what the figured it was worth.

What insurance company are you with.

And did you have ANY injuries whats-so-ever?

Helmet get scratched AT ALL?

Make sure they give you money for your gear that is now damaged as well.

Everything stated above is how it is in florida, other states have different laws and guidelines to follow.
      Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
      18v Rigid Drill
      Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
      New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Wow I am glad you are ok. The blue book on your Kat is more than the damage in my opinion. A body ship will look to try to make business so they might undercut rather than trying to inflate the damage. Otherwise, they loose cash. Remember, a good body shop can repair things sometimes versus replacing them if it is safe and the insurance company and you don't have a problem with it. Your Kat might come out better looking than before.
        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
        JOHN 16:33

Comment

Woobie provided the best advice. Right now you need to be searching for similar bikes with in a 500 mile radius for sale; particular with similar mileage. When the ins. company provide you with a number if it is lower than the average price of the bikes you've found then you should counter. Yes, have them replace the gear. Gently remind them that gear prevented you from having serious injuries. The ins. company will attempt to offer you the trade in value.
          Round Rock, TX

Comment

good to hear you're ok.

have the dealer check the bike out, see if the frame and/or forks are bend, and give an estimate or the repairs.that'll cost a few bucks, but kjnowing if the frame is OK or not is worth it.
            KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

Sounds to me like you had some decent mods/new parts on it. So here's what you do if they total it... Decline the check and tell them you want them to get you another bike exactly the same as what yours was before the collision. Give them the details like it must have new tires same brand as yours... exhaust and any other little details that differed yours from the rest... even the exact paint scheme weather factory or custom. They never like hearing this but they are required by law to reimburse you for YOUR BIKE not anything else. At this point they will usually give you the full value of your bike (the $2,500) and let you keep it without having to actually buy it back. I've had this happen to me before with 3 different cars (I was never at fault) every time they were totaled and I got the full value and kept the car. It puts the most money in your pocket this way. If I were in your situation I would fix your bike if it's just cosmetic damage or get a new bike and part out yours if there's frame damage (if there's frame damage don't bother trying to fix it... you'll never get it perfect and chances are you'll always have problems with it). Either way doing this you'll come out ahead in the end.

And of course if they don't total it then that's the best... but from what you've described I wouldn't count on it.
              ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸

``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´

Comment

Within an hour of reading this post yesterday I almost had a similar accident. Was cruis'n down the street at the speed limit. A guy in a Mustang started to pull out without seeing me. He looked right through me! I locked up my rear wheel (first time in my month long KAT affair) fish tailed a bit he saw me and stopped. I kept the bike up and continued. I think he soiled himself.. He was waving "I'm sorry".. Man, what an adrenalin rush...
                2007 GSXR 600 BLACK
                Traded in the 02 KAT 600 and sold the 02 KX250..
                2003 KX 125 (sold)

Comment

Sorry to here about ur Kat katman, and I'm glad ur not hurt. I hope everything works out for ya.

Originally posted by Animal Chin
                  Within an hour of reading this post yesterday I almost had a similar accident. Was cruis'n down the street at the speed limit. A guy in a Mustang started to pull out without seeing me. He looked right through me! I locked up my rear wheel (first time in my month long KAT affair) fish tailed a bit he saw me and stopped. I kept the bike up and continued. I think he soiled himself.. He was waving "I'm sorry".. Man, what an adrenalin rush...
                  I've been riding for about 4 months and I've had to lock my brakes up at least 4 or 5 times. almost been hit 3 times by a Semi, and almost been hit about 2 or 3 times by other various vehicles. I guess thats just the risk of driving a bike, maybe thats what gives it such a thrill.
                  Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

Originally posted by Animal Chin
                    Call me bro when you want to ride. Maybe 2 bikes they will see! It happens around here all the time man.
                    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                    JOHN 16:33

Comment

glad to hear your ok!

Hope everything works out.

Comment

Working...
                      X