Lean angle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Junior
    Originally posted by Black_peter
    I found something interesting when I changed tires..
    (Not the Kat)
    I put the OEM size tires (same brand & model)
    and I found the bike "fell" into a lean angle better.
    The over sized tire the previous owner put on actually damaged the handling..
    See, this makes perfect sense to me. If you put a wider tire on a bike it's gonna take that much more to lean it over. Granted it's only a fraction of a difference in size , but it still accounts for an increased amount of lean and another fraction of a second to get it leaned over. Theorectically it *could* make the difference of you staying on the pavement or hitting the gravel shoulder.

Personally, I don't think bigger is always better.

Just my .02cdn..... .03US.
    I think the profile of the tire means more than the width. My D 205's had a virtually flat profile. The Diablo 160 I put on was more of a V profile, which made the Kat want to fall over like a ton of bricks...and it was wider.

Comment

Originally posted by AHF
      ...I think the profile of the tire means more than the width. My D 205's had a virtually flat profile. The Diablo 160 I put on was more of a V profile, which made the Kat want to fall over like a ton of bricks...and it was wider.
      +1

Profile, all the way. 150/70 was wrestlemania, 160/60 was push me over with a feather. D205's to Diablos.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

FWIW, I couldn't get all the way to the edge of the 160's. Even scraping pegs, plastic and centerstand:

I was off the edge of the 150's.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

Comment

I can't wait to get my Diablo Stradas on. I am looking forward to seeing how much better they fair in the twisites compared to these DunlAps I have on now. Maybe I'll even drag a peg or 2 this year!
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
            ...Maybe I'll even drag a peg or 2 this year!
            You'll be amazed how easy it is on the Kat--especially with a more severe profile tire. Be careful.

Comment

Ouch.. bet that stopped ur heart for split second!

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                Ouch.. bet that stopped ur heart for split second!
                What--the pegs? The fairing?

Comment

Alright alright.. it's all about the profile.. blah blah blah ...

Thanks for setting me straight.

Comment

Maybe I should get some of those titanium plates that spark up for my pegs!
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                      Maybe I should get some of those titanium plates that spark up for my pegs!

Comment

Thanks for setting me straight.

If we're not here to set you straight on things then what the heck are we here for!

Comment

Originally posted by AHF
                          If we're not here to set you straight on things then what the heck are we here for!

General taunting and water-balloon assaults. At least that's what I was told when I signed up.

Comment

mabey its mid-life crisis or possibly the bike
                            Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Comment

Working...
                            X