X

Katana 750 with pod filters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana 750 with pod filters

So I got a problem with my 2000 Katana 750 and I think I think I messed it up. The bike ran perfectly (to my knowledge it’s my first bike) and over the winter I had to change the air filter because the old filter got melted by leaking gas. The bike has never had an exhaust and it ran fine but now that I have these pod filters on it seems different but I don’t know what exactly it is. It could be the cold weather I’m trying to start it in but it never wants to idle right and only likes to run good at high rpm’s. I’m thinking it’s too much air or just not good/not even air pressure for all four carbs but I really have no idea. The exhaust being off never was an issue for me and it seems all my problems started when I tried to put the pod filters on. I read somewhere that the mikuni carbs like to compensate for too much or too little air so I was hoping it would just fix itself in warm weather but I don’t know anymore. If anyone who knows more then me could give me any idea on how to make my bike run better that would be great. I tried looking for fuel adjustment screws but couldn’t find anything and I don’t really wanna rejet the carbs and mess something up even more, im really just looking to see what some old gear heads have to say about it. Thanks for reading if you did

My guess is that your bike is running lean, pod filters allow air to enter the carbs/engine with less restriction compared to the original airbox and ''too much air'' is entering the carbs for the oem jet sizes. The correct fix for this is to re-jet all the carburators. Some pod filter kit can come with the appropriate jets for this when you purchase them or you could try their website to see if they have reccomendations about jet sizes. You could also check this forum to see if someone has done that modification and wrote the jets sizes he used. Otherwise you have to tune the carburator the old fashion way, here is a procedure for it : http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tunin...m_engines.html
    and here is another one: https://mikunioz.com/tuning-tips-and...v=13b249c5dfa9

There is an adjustment screw on the bottom of each carb. This screw is covered by a welch plug that you need to drill out if you want to make adjutments. This screw is made for fine tuning the A/F ratio at idle/ slow rpm. This might work in your case but keep in mind that this fine tuning will not compensate for a too small Pilot jet, it is only for fine tuning.

Tuning multiples carburator can be a long and tedious process ,especially if you are not mechanically inclined and is your first time doing so. I would suggest finding an oem airbox and filter in good condition and reinstalling that on the bike. Might be less trouble for you in the end.

If you choose to re-jet the carbs, there are multiples resources on this website and on youtube on how to jet, tune and synchronize multiples carburators.

Good Luck!

Comment

IMO, if the welsh plugs are still in, don't touch them. They aren't the problem. Fiddling with the screws if they are still factory set could fine tune the carbs, but won't fix a problem. You'd be more likely to make it worse.
      If your air filter has burned in the past due to fuel overflow, that leads me to believe the floats have been set wrong. Setting floats properly can be tricky because they should be set in the same position as when installed, which means upside-down at the exact angle. If you can get the floats adjusted correctly, my guess is your problem would be fixed. No parts needed.

Comment

Working...
      X