X

Another cleaning question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another cleaning question

What would you guys use to clean a light layer of surface rust on a camshaft?

There just a few spots on a couple of the lobes.

Steel wool and wd-40?
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Re: Another cleaning question

Originally posted by reconstyle
    What would you guys use to clean a light layer of surface rust on a camshaft?

There just a few spots on a couple of the lobes.

Steel wool and wd-40?
    i would probably use Wd and a cloth first to see how it works....I would stay away from the steel wool, but a scrub pad might work ok.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

If it is hitting the lob it will wear off. I wouldn't touch it. There should be plenty of oil up there to keep it from rusting more and I would worry about getting stuff in the oil..

Comment

Well, they aren't fresh cams, these were sitting in someones garage for sometime, so they are dry.

I'll try a scotch pad and wd-40 and see how that works.
        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
        18v Rigid Drill
        Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

WD 40 or diesel fuel and 4-ought (0000) steel wool. Make sure to only use 0000. It is less abrasive than a Scotch pad. I use it on chrome wheels, etc, will not scratch any metal, but will polish even gold.
          Don't use it a lot on silver plate, though (if you have any silver plate on your bike 8) ).
          96 Katana 750; 05 SV650N; 81 CB900C

Comment

could he try something like pb blaster to help dissolve the rust?

Comment

brake fluid is great for removing rust. use rubbing alcohol to clean up afterwards. WEAR LATEX OR NITRILE GLOVES. polish with 0000 steel wool.
              KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

Working...
              X