No announcement yet.
X

Frame Sliders

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Kat doesn't have a good spot to mount a slider to, primarily due to the older engine design and it's cradle-style mounting. Most race-reps have a perimeter aluminum frame that has an engine mounting point that passes into the central part of the engine, so the slider bolt has some mass backing it up. Plus the positioning is optimal in that general location. My R1's sliders literally screw in through the frame and into the cylinder head. On my 900RR, they go into the back of the cylinder block. That said, I've also seen these types of bikes seriously damaged by mounting frame sliders, though it seems more prevalent on newer bikes where they've been shaving off weight and using more die-cast sections. I saw an R6 at the salvage auction that had aluminum (bad idea) sliders on it, and one of them had been ripped clean out of the mounting taking the engine mounting tab off the frame and a chunk out of the engine! Another case of being better off without, and it's not an uncommon thing to see...

My best recommendation for the kat for tip-overs is to get the large embossed plastic KATANA emblems that came on earlier 98+ models and put those on. They sit at the place where the fairing bulges out the most and would probably save the paint. Another good idea is to get some race-style heavy-duty engine covers (like Vortex, NRC, Woodcraft, Yosh, etc) that can withstand a fall and not leave you stranded. The Kat's timer/ignition cover must be made of glass, because it can crack and leak oil if you look at it funny.
    '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

There is a place in Cookeville,TN that are in the process of making them for the older Kats right now. The problem they are having is the mounting point for the frame slider. They have a bracket made they just need a decent place to mount them up. They are dealing with the legal issues if they put something out and it damages the frame. Here is the website. www.oesaccessories.com I have talked with them on and off since Fulcrum first sent them an email about it. I also invited them to the Rally in July. They will more than likely be up there. They are always up there.
      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

one fails to realize is weather you drill the frame or not you bolt it to the frame and it will bend it . im am working on a slider braket that wont direcktly bolt to the frame alone and should be able to bolt a puck to it . stand by when i am happy with the end result i will post news and photos. and i have a friend that has a plastic molding company he makes 50 caliber belts for war planes and has let me use his factory to make a mold for color pucks . it will be a few months but it will be for kats

Comment

That sounds awsome Letsride. Can't wait to see those.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Any updates since then??? I would like to get a set.

Comment

talk to braunstien or ontariokatana, both members on this board, they manufacture framesliders.

Comment

holy old-thread-resurrection, batman!!!

I ordered a set from ontariokat. They are an A+ excellent product, and he was very good to do business with. His bracket design is well-engineered and seems quite sturdy. I recommend them.

Comment

I saw a set of brackets somewhere online .. they were around $80 or $90 just for the bracket, then you need the sliders to go with ... from what I've read on here I think I will be skipping the sliders and just work on not dropping my bike
                  2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                  Black
                  Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                  Red
                  Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

they definitly are a good idea. im puttin them on my bike

Comment

I installed my sliders I got from braunstein82. Nice design. it is worth having them.
                      sigpic

Twist your Wrist

Comment

This thread is super old. Was Braunstein even making the sliders when this thread was created.
                        sigpic
                        Update Jul 11 2014
                        Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

no

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                            no
                            Yeah I went back and read a couple of the post on the first page. Thats when they was talking about welding or drilling into the frame.
                            sigpic
                            Update Jul 11 2014
                            Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Working...
                            X