Double Bubble

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Bubble

G`day all,

Am thinking of fitting a double bubble screen, and have searched for a post from anyone that is riding with one fitted.

While there are quite a few posts discussing them, i would like to hear from anyone actualy riding with one fitted, and there pros and cons on the results re wind deflection and or cut in helmet wind noise.

I can get one here in OZ from Eagle Screens $135A. I like the look of them, and Eagle Screens seem to have a good rep., but wondering if its worth the effort.

Col

FYI I think the effect will depend to a large degree on how tall you are.

Kats have pretty decent wind protection, but with my height, the laminar flow hits my helmet smack in the middle, which gives a lot of turbulence. If I either sit a bit up or down, turbulence decreases. When I sit up, I obviously have more wind hitting my helmet, but its less turbulent and therefore, more confortable/less noise. No good when opening the visor though

The same happens for instance when i rode my brothers CBR. It certainly has less wind protection, the laminar flow hits lower (around my neck), but its less turbulent and makes less noise.

OTOH, my brother, who is smaller, finds wind protection on the Kat a lot better, so maybe we should switch bikes

Anyway, my point is that an effective windscreen should either make the wind blow over your helmet (BMW RT style), or provide laminar flow to the entire helmet. Anything inbetween tends to be bad. If its inbetween for you on the Kat, a double bubble may work well.

Comment

G'day, I have one on my bike, also have a dark screen as well, that came with the bike, so I cant tell what the standard screen is like but I like the double bubble, I'm 5' 9" in height and deflects a fair bit of wind, the clear screen cost about $120AUD from A1 motorcycles, hope this helps, also should check in frames and plastic section as there are posts there that should provide the info
      '99 Suzuki GSXF
      '67 BSA Spitfire
      '73 Triumph trident
      '35 AJS 350 side valve
      '72 XS2 Yamaha 650
      '51 BSA A10 Golden Flash
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys,

Have checked out the frames and plastic section Bruiser, and now relise i posted this in the wrong place, ah well "such is life".

Have gone ahead and ordered a dark windlip screen from Eagle Screens in West Australia, a bit on the expensive side, but heck " lets throw the kat another goldfish", the delivery cost from the West coast to the East coast is like its coming from another country, but does covers air freight and insurance

The windlip is about 40mm higher than the standard screen and has a wind deflection lip on the top. Have posted a pic they sent with there adverising, it is not shown on there website.

Comment

Working...
        X