No announcement yet.
X

Start and go? or warm up ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always let her run for a few before I go, usually long enough to get my jacket on, tie my hair back, helmet on, and then gloves
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by 1BlueKat
      I let her warm up until the choke runs the idle up and I gradually reduce choke until it is at a regular idle, then away I go. I dont like to ride with her cutting out and sputtering, like when it is not warmed up.
      Same here too.

Comment

stat it up, close the garage, and go
        if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

I dont like to ride with her cutting out and sputtering, like when it is not warmed up.
          How are the fuel injected bikes? Do they do that? Or do they run smoothly from the start? I am trying to compare against carburated cars....remember those? crank...pump...sputter...pump..pump...pump...crank ...sputter...vrooom.
          With EFI...it is start and go....well...'cept for letting the oil flow.
          Is EFI bikes like that? Just start right up with no sputtering?
          I have never tried one, so I can't say.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

good job mojo, im happy somone pays attition, man i hate when people do that to their car,s and exp their bike, it will bel ike 20 one morn and people will hop in their car and just go im like AH what are you doign?!!! lol that kills our motor so bad, the oil isnt flowing that good yet and your alreeady putting stress on the motor which causes friction, wich causes head and with no oil you get warping, i hate when people do that man, i useually let mine run for about a min or so in the summer, or in the winter with my car at least 5-10 min if its under 50

Comment

like with an efi car, the bike's cpu adjusts mixture until it is warmed up - some will have an indicator light and some have a fast idle / "choke" lever

my bike needs some choke time to get running, usually about 45 seconds on full choke, about the same on 1/2 and then a few blips and it is good to go - when it is over 80* this is much reduced / unnecessary
              I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

let it warm up for a minute.......
                don't like to ride it when it's cold.......

bikes are like chicks.....hot is better than cold......
                A Kat is gone and a Strom is coming!

Comment

Originally posted by 1BlueKat
                  I let her warm up until the choke runs the idle up and I gradually reduce choke until it is at a regular idle, then away I go. I dont like to ride with her cutting out and sputtering, like when it is not warmed up.
                  +1
                  Hate is a special kind of love I have for people that suck.

http://www.nmburn.com (#73-Defensive Tackle/Offensive Guard)

Hi. :bigfinger Cram it.

Comment

Originally posted by chauan
                    let it warm up for a minute.......
                    don't like to ride it when it's cold.......

bikes are like chicks.....hot is better than cold......
                    never quite thought of that analogy..but

Comment

Originally posted by Katgirl
                      I always let her run for a few before I go, usually long enough to get my jacket on, tie my hair back, helmet on, and then gloves
                      Same here, except for that "tie my hair back" thing.
                      sigpic

Comment

MOJOE- FI bikes are just like cars, start up it goes up to a fast idle and brings itself down pretty quickly. you can take off right away without any hesitation at all.

Comment

Let her warm up, these days with the temp still dipping below freezing at night and around the 0 mark when I start it needs it. The choak is ussaly only ussed untill I get my helmet and gloves done up then I let it idel for a littel bit before I get going.

If I rush it I notice a huge amount of sluginess and puttering so no need to push it.

Comment

The old girl needs to be warmed up a bit or she won't go!!!
                            My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                              Originally posted by crackshot
                              I idle for a while, but if I am in a hurry, I run it a gear lower than I normally would (keeping the RPMs up) to warm it faster
                              Not to single you out or put down your method, but that kind of defeats the purpose. Technically, the warm up stage for any vehicle is to allow adequate oil flow throughout the entire engine. If it is a cold day and you do not allow it to run long enough, then you are actually damaging the engine at a higher rpm if the oil is not flowing throughout.

No, thanks for the heads up. I'm a new rider, so info like this is golden.
                              much appreciated

Comment

My old yamaha, man I used to have to let that thing warm up for an eternity before she'd run smooth..warm or cold day, if you didnt let it warm up for several minutes..she'd sputter and carry on like a banshee till she got going.

Comment

Working...
                                X