X

trany or gears please help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trany or gears please help

my cousin just gave me my first bike its a katana 750 heres the problem He said the last time he rode it when he went to shift from 1st to 2nd it just locked up. it will go back into 1st and nuetral but thats it.He hasent tried it again since,any ideas on the peoblem.Im really looking forward to riding it.

seems to be a common problem. the Kat has a modest price, so it's often popular with noobie riders who don't know how to shift... they force the shifts and fuck up the shift forks in the transmission.

AFAIK, you have two choices... pull the engine, tear it down and rebuild the transmission, swap engines, or part the bike out.

i got a decent deal on a pre-98 Kat on CL, but 2nd is TOAST.. the transmission will lock up occasionally, even when just rolling the bike to move it, and when i've had it running, it makes some nasty noises.

i found a good deal on another 600 engine here, so i'm gonna swap the motors and then either rebuild the old engine next winter, or part it out.
    KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

ok - first thing......DONT RIDE IT!

Second - you're gonna have to pull the motor - so if you know how to wrench then go for it otherwise take it in to the shop for a quote - Likely it will be a lot more than you'll pay to replace but hey - you never know - its worth a look.

Third - there are a ton of guys on here with tons of spare parts/motors, etc. Go to the classifies section and post a WTB (want to buy) ad. I'd suggest not just putting tranny....you want to specify tranny/motor.

Also check ebay

Changing the motor isnt that tough.....its mostly unbolt stuff and reverse the process when you reassemble. Keep in mind you wont need the following which will greatly affect your price:

Starter
      Carbs
      CDI
      Oil cooler
      97 Katana 600
      [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

Mine done the same thing! Found it a lot cheaper just to replace the whole motor/transmission together. I found one on Ebay for $550 shipping and all! If you have any mechanical knowhow then its not that big of a deal to do yourself. my first time it took me about 3-4 hours doing it by myself. I would suggest getting a friend to help out just to line things up. Good luck with it!!!
        Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul!!!
        Drop a knee,drop a gear, just don't drop the bike!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X