No announcement yet.
X

My hydraulic clutch conversion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is cool...where did you get the invisible clutch lever?? I need to get one of those for my Kat......seriously a nice job there!!
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
      That is cool...where did you get the invisible clutch lever??
      Did you see the thread about the invisible fairings? I'm taking that one step further. Invisible Controls!!

Comment

Originally posted by monger
        Originally posted by Jax
        That is cool...where did you get the invisible clutch lever??
        Did you see the thread about the invisible fairings? I'm taking that one step further. Invisible Controls!!
        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Have you actually tried to see if the speedo works?
          Bike is sold

Comment

Also did you need to change the length of the push rod that pushes on the clutch basket?
            Bike is sold

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
              [there is....as well as the 750gix. both had hydraulic clutches in 03. both are interchangeable (same part number).
              it kinda makes me wonder why suzuki didn't use them on the kats.
              cheap bastages.
              I thought that the newer gixxers were completely different from the Kat motors, I.E. that the sprocket covers would not be interchangeable. Thats why I used the bandit setup, because I knew that the cover was a bolt on and it had the 98+ style speed sensor.
              I don't know if they are different or not. I do not know much about the 600 and 750's at all. the 1100's like my kat uses the same 1127 engine as the gixxer from 89 to 92....then the gix went to a liquid cooled 1074.

according to suzikicycles.org both the kat and the gix have the 599cc engine, but the gix is liquid cooled, where as the kat is oil/air.....so that is probably why it doesn't fit.....if it truly doesn't. it might be worth looking into to see if the cover does fit, in case, if no one knows for sure.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
                What is the benefit of a Hydro clutch? I think the conversion is cool but wanted to know the benefits..
                imho, the advantage is that a hyd clutch is just a lot easier to deal with. no cable to seize up or maintain. no adjustments to make. no sloppy cluth lever as the cable stretches. and no danger of the cable breaking. I never had one break on a streetbike, but had on break on my moto-x way out in the middle of nowhere.

with a hyd clutch....easier on the fingers in traffic....and zero maintenance aside from flushing the system and adding new oil once in a while.....which I never did in 120k miles on my 92. In fact, in 11 years and 120k miles, I never did one thing that was clutch related on that bike. that includes adding oil. you can't get any more "maintenance free" than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Spedee
                  Also did you need to change the length of the push rod that pushes on the clutch basket?

When I got the complete setup, it was all still together and full of fluid. When I tried to test fit the cover, the slave cyl. didn't allow the cover to fit exactly right, so I bled some fluid out and retracted the piston mabey .020 inches and it fit together well.

As for the speedo working, I cant be sure yet because I'm waiting on a few things before I can test ride the bike. I sill need a new tire, clutch handle and about 4 feet less snow. I tried to spin the sprocket by hand tonight to see if it would register on the speedo, but I just couldent get it going fast enough with just my finger. I cant use the chain to turn it either because its sitting in a baggie full of oil right now. Actually its been in that bag for about 2 months so mabey its plenty lubed by now

But judging from the clearance between the sensor on the old cover and the sprocket and how the new one fits, I dont think it will be too much of an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                    imho, the advantage is that a hyd clutch is just a lot easier to deal with. no cable to seize up or maintain. no adjustments to make. no sloppy cluth lever as the cable stretches. and no danger of the cable breaking. I never had one break on a streetbike, but had on break on my moto-x way out in the middle of nowhere.

with a hyd clutch....easier on the fingers in traffic....and zero maintenance aside from flushing the system and adding new oil once in a while.....which I never did in 120k miles on my 92. In fact, in 11 years and 120k miles, I never did one thing that was clutch related on that bike. that includes adding oil. you can't get any more "maintenance free" than that.

I have seen quite a few clutch cable failures on firends bikes including one that nearly screwed a friend on a pre 98 Kat on our PEI trip last year. We made it home but with only a few threads of the cable left. Lots of clutchless shifting involved which I just dont want to deal with.

I know that I will lose a little bit of clutch 'feel' with this change but I am more interested in setting up my bike for touring than racing. Its not like the Kat would make an all that effective race bike anyway

Comment

I know that I will lose a little bit of clutch 'feel' with this change but I am more interested in setting up my bike for touring than racing. Its not like the Kat would make an all that effective race bike anyway
                      once you get used to the hyd clutch, you will not notice any less feel for the clutch. it's not a question of which has more feel. it's like comparing apples to oranges. it's just a different feel, and you will adapt soon enough. I can "feel" my clutch just fine.

Comment

So does it actually engage and disengage properly? That's why I asked about the push rod.

When I got the complete setup, it was all still together and full of fluid. When I tried to test fit the cover, the slave cyl. didn't allow the cover to fit exactly right, so I bled some fluid out and retracted the piston mabey .020 inches and it fit together well.

As for the speedo working, I cant be sure yet because I'm waiting on a few things before I can test ride the bike. I sill need a new tire, clutch handle and about 4 feet less snow. I tried to spin the sprocket by hand tonight to see if it would register on the speedo, but I just couldent get it going fast enough with just my finger. I cant use the chain to turn it either because its sitting in a baggie full of oil right now. Actually its been in that bag for about 2 months so mabey its plenty lubed by now

But judging from the clearance between the sensor on the old cover and the sprocket and how the new one fits, I dont think it will be too much of an issue.
                        Bike is sold

Comment

So does it actually engage and disengage properly? That's why I asked about the push rod.

I cant verify that the clutch engages and disengages properly at this point without a new clutch lever and putting the bike back together. However I'm not expecting any problems because of the self adjusting properties of the hydraulic setup. Like I said before, when I first got the setup, the slave piston was adjusted too far out to allow the cover to fit properly. After I bled the system and retracted the piston, it fit well. So it just a matter of piston travel at this point. Where the master and slave cylinders are a matched set, they should have more than enough capacity to move the piston more than is needed to engage and disengage the clutch.

I could test it now, but pushing on the piston with my thumb hurts.

As for the question that you PM'd me about, I suppose that you could re-use the existing pin setup from the Kat sprocket cover, provided you could get it off. My problem was that the pin had Loc-Tite on it where it was threaded into the cover. Short of using a big ass pair of pliers on the shaft itself and risking marking it up, I just found that it was easier to just make a new pin. Another reason was that I haven't seen this mod done before, so I didn't want to risk damaging the original parts in case I need to switch back.

Comment

Your pin was threaded? Mine was just pressed into the cover with a nut on the back side. Took the nut off, treated it to a BFH and it popped right out.
                            2000 Katana 600
                            2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

It looked like it was threaded in, mabey I should have used a bigger hammer. If thats the case, then I dont see why you cant re use the pin.

Comment

2000 Katana 600
                                2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Working...
                                X