X

Hauling your bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tigers202002
    Hey to tell the truth I don't really care, I just didn't understand I never haul mine never will I ride were I go. If its worth hauling it there its worth riding it there. I have had my wheel hop on turns but my bike was also leaned over at a nice angle. Never had a tire hop while straight up, but hey if its happened to you I beleive it.
    If you ride bikes long enough, one day you will haul a bike or have a bike hauled. they are machines and sometimes they do break down. I still remember a time when my wife had to come get me in the middle of know where (broken chain). She was 8 months pregnant and couldn't help load the bike. I didn't have much of a ramp then so it was real difficult to load by myself.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

your right I'm sure. I've only rode 5 years. Alot of the guys on here are alot older than me with alot of experience and I respect that and try and pick up some tips. I just like to throw my thoughts in sometimes. I did break down once on the road. Everytime I twisted the throttle the bike died. Had no one to call so I spent two hours going over everything I could think of short of taking the carburators apart. Imagine driving by a motorcycle on the side of the road with the gas tank lying next to it. It sucked finally I blew threw the fuel strainer and heard a small pop. Something was stuck in it. Sure enough started right up good as new drove home. Wish someone could have came and got me.

Comment

Originally posted by tigers202002
        Wish someone could have came and got me.
        careful what you wish for. you could have had someone come get you, then not put half the effort into getting it started than you did while stuck. Then you might have hauled it off to the dealers who would have conned you into a bigger bill.

you did good buy getting it going yourself
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

just cause you don't know someone with a truck or trailer to get you home, you can still haul your bike:

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

WoW
            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
            JOHN 16:33

Comment

That is impressive. I would hate to be behind that guy driving down the highway.

Comment

I wouldn't want to be inside the car...
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                  That is impressive. I would hate to be behind that guy driving down the highway.
                  personally, I would rather be behind him than in front. Imagine where that bike would end up if he rearended you...lol.

Is dat one a dem dere redneck trailers dat I heres the peoples tawkin' 'bout?
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I've hauled bikes for years, and have logged a few thousand miles hauling bikes in pick ups and on trailers.............

I've used Canyon Dancers a lot, but a year or so ago I learned (the hard way) that if you use the Canyon Dancer and its tie downs as your PRIMARY hold down you can and will bend the bars!

I've since switched to this method, which works better:

Use a Canyon Dancer and a set of straps to stbilize the upper bike.
                    Primary set of straps goes over bottom tree around forks and down at a slight angle away.
                    Third set of straps on the rear to stabilize things.
                    Kick stand down, as cheap insurance. (Normally just barely touching, but its a great back up)
                    I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                    Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                    Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Watched a motorcycle show the other day that had some racer guy showing how to tie a bike down properly....

1.Canyon dancers
                      2.Another set of tie downs on the triple tree
                      3.Another set tied down to the swingarm

He specifically said he learned the hard way to NEVER tiedown to the rear pegs since they will snap off in certain circumstances.

I won't tie down to my pegs again.

Comment

Don't cheap out on straps either. Get the good ones, and get a canyon dancer. If you don't have a canyon dancer then using Keith's or Junior's method works great. Ive tried both ways and never had the bike so much as lean let alone move once it's tied down.

I usually secure my rear straps to the rear peg mounts that are welded to the frame, not the pegs themselves and the works pretty good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                          He specifically said he learned the hard way to NEVER tiedown to the rear pegs since they will snap off in certain circumstances.

That tis why I do not tie down to the pegs. I tie down to the peg mounts.

Comment

I put the bike in the back of the truck and in the back of a trailor. The trailor is a ridget trailor with a plywood floor. I found the trailor slippery even when it was dey so what I did was bought some paint, a roller tray, and a rolling paint brush. Then I sprinkled "Sand" on the plywood and some in thew paint and starting paint the plywood. After 3 coats of paint the plywood has plenty of grip at every angle.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn

That tis why I do not tie down to the pegs. I tie down to the peg mounts.

The peg mounts will still bend under pressure. Atleast, this is what the racer guy said.
                              It would take a great deal of strain to bend them, but hey, it's possible.

Comment

The peg mounts will still bend under pressure. Atleast, this is what the racer guy said.
                                It would take a great deal of strain to bend them, but hey, it's possible.
                                That can be said about any part of the bike. You just need to make sure that you do not over load it. It would not be impossible to bend a handle bar if you used that to tie down your bike and overloaded the strap.

Comment

Working...
                                X