X

Hauling your bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gsxrluver
    im with kitkat...canyondancers are the way to go for the front then i use regular straps for the rear...my stand is up and between the staps all the way around my bikes have never moved...
    well the only way I can prove my theory is that you have to come here and follow me. If you can follow me doing the speed limit on a major road of my choosing.....for say 100 miles without having to stop and re-secure your bike, then I will eat my words. Persoanlly, I don't think it can be done. Even with a wheelchock, the roads are so bad that you need to stop and tighten down the straps on a regular basis. I had to stop and make adjustment at least a dozen times when I went to ottawa and met kitkat and the boys. If it wasn't for the kickstand, my bike would have ended up on it's side for sure.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
      The last time I hauled my bike I had six straps in place to keep it upright. I used two across the handle bars with a Canyon Dancer, two from the passenger pegs mounts to the back of the truck bed and two more from engine mounts toward the front of the bed. I drove through the Dragon and the bike did not budge at all. A wheel chock is nice, but an extra set of straps will keep your bike in place without any issues.
      your setup makes more sense. the straps at the mounts and pegs are low, so the chance of the bike sliding over is eliminated.
      All my blah blah is aimed at those who strap from the bars and say the grab bar, which are too high on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
        your setup makes more sense. the straps at the mounts and pegs are low, so the chance of the bike sliding over is eliminated.
        All my blah blah is aimed at those who strap from the bars and say the grab bar, which are too high on their own.
        Gotcha. When I bought straps to haul my bike for the first time the guy at the shop told me that all I would need is one set of the non ratcheting type straps. I thought that he was nuts. I use ratcheting straps to tie down the forks and the passenger pegs. I used the non ratcheting type for the lower mounts.

Comment

Mojoe's theory is correct, I’m not disagreeing with it. I know exactly what he’s taking about and it could happen.

I'm just saying I’d recommend using Canyon Dancers in the front to keep the straps off the body work.

Also. My trailer has a motorcycle kit installed. It's basically a U shaped track that drive on to.

I don't need a girlfriend... Windows goes down on me everyday!

Comment

Ok. I'll back Mojoe up on the hazardous roads in Quebec. The Quebec roads are what caused my cheap imitation canyon dancer to break. It was just pure fluke that I was stopped for gas at the time and decided to check my straps.

YES...Quebec roads suck.

After removing the cheap imitation canyon dancer and strapping each front strap to the top of the triple tree, and each rear strap to the rear passenger peg, the beast didn't move.

If the front forks are 80% compressed after strapping it down, the bike shouldn't move in normal driving circumstances.

If you're driving 140km/h on Quebec roads....you're a nutbar.

Comment

I never actually put it down. I ride it up the ramp onto the trailer and it goes straight into the self locking wheel chock. Then I strap it in for extra security. Never even thought of it before and it make me think, hmmmm.
              "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
              JOHN 16:33

Comment

Daytona's can be hauled as follows:

....cause they SUCK

Comment

Originally posted by tigers202002
                  I just don't get it. The tires are rubber right? When you ride on those rodes with you bike does it slide across the road when you hit bumbs? The tires should get enough grip to stay in place as long as the straps are tight enough to keep them from bouncing off the bed.

If the strap were tight enough the bike wouldn't be able to hit on its side even if it did slide.
                  if you have never had your rear tire hop off to the side cuz of bumps, you haven't really pushed your bike.

and it is obvious you have never seen how a tire can slide on a metal truck box or on a plywood floor trailer....especially if it is the least bit wet.

and yes...it can hit on it's side. if you look at the 4 images I posted, you can see how.
                  If the wheels kick off to the right, the right strap will stay tight as it slides over, while the one on the left will go slack. then the strap on the right will just follow the bike down....and leave the left strap just hanging there. Look at it like this....when the bike is straight up, the distance to the anchoring points is X amount of inches. but as the bike leans over as the wheels slide over, this lowers the height of the bike, which in effect reduces the distance (X) to the anchoring points, if said anchoring points are below the height of the anchoring point on the bike. In english, this means the straps go slack. See my point?
                  It happened to me......I know this for a fact.

But hey.....I was just giving you some advice based on my own experience. I have had my share of bikes go over while hauling them....and know the reasons why they went over, and learned from it. I was just trying to help you avoid the same situation.
                  So strap it down however you wish.....it really doesn't make any difference to me at all. It's not my bike.

Comment

Hey to tell the truth I don't really care, I just didn't understand I never haul mine never will I ride were I go. If its worth hauling it there its worth riding it there. I have had my wheel hop on turns but my bike was also leaned over at a nice angle. Never had a tire hop while straight up, but hey if its happened to you I beleive it.

Comment

Originally posted by tigers202002
                      Hey to tell the truth I don't really care, I just didn't understand I never haul mine never will I ride were I go. If its worth hauling it there its worth riding it there. I have had my wheel hop on turns but my bike was also leaned over at a nice angle. Never had a tire hop while straight up, but hey if its happened to you I beleive it.
                      can't say I had it happen to me while in a straight line. but it isn't the same when it is being hauled. in a truck, it is being hauled on 4 wheels. on a trailer, 2 wheels, but one on each side. In effect, it is the truck or trailer that will influence how it bounces, not the bike's suspension itself. If the trailer hits a bump with just one wheel, it will not be an even bounce, so the straight line theory doesn't come into effect. Bumps also appear in corners.
                      In effect, it isn't the up/down bouncing that gets ya.....it's the side to side rocking and bouncing that does ya in. And trailers rock side to side as much as they bounce up and down.

Comment

I can only add that there is no way I would haul my bike without that wheel chock. It is peace of mind knowing it is not popping out if there and the straps reinforce that peace of mind.
                        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

Comment

Best way to tow:

Comment

Re: Hauling your bike

Originally posted by chinto
                            I have not seen it happen, but when I first got my bike a friend told me that he was hauling his bike with it strapped down and with the kickstand down, he said that during the ride he hit a pretty nasty bump and when he went to unload the bike the kick stand was bent.

sense to me.

I am pretty much done with this post now, but I will leave you with a final word.

If you hit a bump that is big enough to bend a kickstand, then you are naive to believe that if you raise that kickstand, and strap your bike down at the higher points on the bike, that it can not fall over on a bump equally as bad.
                            And when I say "you", Chinto, I am not talking about you personally. I am speaking in general.

So whatever way you guys choose to strap your bikes down, I hope it works for you. Having a bike topple over while hauling it, sucks big time. I hope you can all avoid that situation.

Comment

Here it is. It also came with the straps that tie the tire down to it.

Comment

Also, New England roads suck too!

Comment

Working...
                                X