X

short people on Kat's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short people on Kat's

my niece is 5' with a 27" inseam she wants to get a Kat but I'm afraid she might be too short. How much can a Kat be safely lowered?
    '06 600 Katana
    http://www.facebook.com/herb.wright
    Official Member of the I Own A 98+ But I Think Pre's Look Good Also Club

Originally posted by Kreylyn
    Okay.... Have you have figured out some way to make the bottom of your bike and the top of the bike closer together... maybe put it under a steam roller or something?

-Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

What about the GS500. Looks like a mix between a Kat and a Gixxer, still oil cooled and easy to work on, but prolly more her size.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

yeah that's what I said but she has her mind set on a Kat
        '06 600 Katana

Okay.... Have you have figured out some way to make the bottom of your bike and the top of the bike closer together... maybe put it under a steam roller or something?

Comment

Well, you can bring the fork tubes up a bit, but not a HUGE amount. Get some custom dogbones made for the rear, you would need to lengthen them. Send a PM to Neoublie, he is a machinest, and makes them himself. He made me a set to raise mine as I am 6'5". They are also easy to change. Then the last option is to shave the seat.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Lou's right..........you can raise the forks up into the top tree. I've done about a dozen or so for shorter folks...........seems the safe distance is about 20mm above the top tree.

REAL EASY to do...........acutally only takes about 5 minutes! Do ONE at a time, by pulling the fokr UP after loosengin the clamps on the TOP ONLY. Then re-clamp, then do the other side.
            I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
            Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
            Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by TheWrightKat
              Sounds like a spoiled kid if you can't make her see reason . Short people just ain't got as many choices as the rest . I'd try REALLY hard to steer her toward something a little short-person friendly at LEAST until she learns a few things .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

not spoiled just stubborn, guess that's why the Navy likes her so much
                '06 600 Katana

Comment

So she can't be reasoned with ? Stubborn I can understand , but not seeing reason ...... Has she TRIED sitting on the thing ? She'd basically have to almost come off the bike at stops to get a foot down , and THEN would only be holding up the tubby bitch with one lil foot .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

gonna have her sit on it today
                    '06 600 Katana

Comment

If she decides the Kat isn't right due to her size, then take a look at the ZZR 600 from Kawasaki. Comparable bike, maybe even a little more modern in design, liquid cooled, sport tourer, and it is definitely a lower seat height. It is one of the bikes I am considering, becausse I am also vertically challenged, but I can get both feet well balanced on the ground with the Kat. The ZZR is also a really nice bike.
                      .................................................. ...................

I see stupid people everywhere, they look just like the rest of us, but the scariest part is, they don't even know they're stupid.

Originally posted by Mojoe
                      so seriously.....if you are stupid enough to put yourself in harms way to cheer on an idiot, then you deserve what you get if something happens.
                      Originally posted by Range
                      I think I threw up a little in my mouth....UGLY

Comment

Ive lowered the front forks a number of times to find the right length to slide down the trees. The best handling and safest amount Ive stuck with is 1.25".

Comment

I HAD TO buy my wife a Ninja 650R, she's short and fits great on it. She also had her mind set on the 600 katana but the bars ran out to far, too long of a reach for her kinda scary. Also the 650R is fairly lightweight and pull hard in the midrange, fun bike...I'll post a pic
                          "So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young"

Comment

Here's a pic of the 650R

Just like the one the wifey had to have...and of course a new helmet, new jacket, new boots, new gloves and new dark smoke screen...what next...
                            "So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young"

Comment

Originally posted by TheWrightKat
                              That may well be true but I am 5-6 and have both the GS500 and Kat 600 and the GS is most definitely easier to mount, handle and ride. I hope it works for her but the first time she drops it (Kat) she'll be saddened.
                              LMT

Comment

Working...
                              X