X

Has anyone changed their gearing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone changed their gearing?

I am a new Katana owner,I just bought a 2000 Katana 600. I am thinking about changing the sprockets and going up one in the rear and down one in the front. I was just wanting to see if anybody else has changed their gearing and if they were happy with it. Thanks.

I would suggest a search. Use the terms "sprocket change". If you have difficulty using the search engine, there is a how-to in the How-To forum.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

I went from 14/46 to 14/50
      I LOVE the change
      Top speed went from 138 -132
      it will now power wheelie in 1st, and pop up in 2nd with a clutch.
      MPG went from 45 city, 47 highway to 42 city 50 highway, it's weird...
      Live and Lean.
      When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
      "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
      Romans 3:23

Comment

A search would probably answer more.... however....

My experience is only with pre98 750's, but I found that going -1 in front was a fantastic change. Highway revs weren't crazy, acceleration was greatly increased, and the the clutch didn't have to be slipped out so much on take off.

I don't know about 98+ 600's though. They may already have a 14 tooth front, which is as small as I'd go, for fear of premature chain wear.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Cyberpoet has an excellent write up on this subject, here it is...

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

i was also strongly considering going up 3 on the rear just to improve my "get up and go" power. i seldom travel over 120 mhp, so i don't think it would really affect me when it comes down to top end.

However, Cyberpoet mentioned it would affect "the ability to counteract wind resistance" and "because that HP you've traded is critical to overcoming the wind resistance at high speeds".

please pardon the ignorance, but i don't understand how this would affect the way you deal with the wind (say traveling 80 to 90 mph). can anyone shed some light on this issue? [/img]
          One who is a Samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night... the fact that he has to die." -- The Code of the Samurai

Comment

Its more an issue if you gear it the other direction. If you gear it for performance (smaller front, larger rear) its not going to be a problem, but if you geared it for better fuel mileage (smaller rear, larger front) you find that your RPMs are too low to make enough power to fight wind resistance on the highway.
            None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
            -Robert Morrison

"
            well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Thanks everybody for the help. I ordered a 14 front and 48 rear so it should help a lot.

Comment

ok, i was under the impression he meant it the other way around (i.e. higher tooth count in rear would cause problems with wind).

thanks for clearing that up!
                One who is a Samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night... the fact that he has to die." -- The Code of the Samurai

Comment

i have 14-48 on my pre 98 750 love the results big difference

Comment

I have a 15-50 I like it
                    sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

Working...
                    X