X

getting non running bike on a truck?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting non running bike on a truck?

i'm picking up a bike here soon (not a kat but thats besides the point... very similar weight though) and the bike doesn't run

i need to get it on the bed of a pick-up truck to get it home...

i'll have a 2nd person helping me out... so whats easiest?

thanks
    mark

Well, I don't know what kind of terrain you have at your disposal, but here in my rural neck of the woods, I would see if I couldn't find a ditch or some other depression to put the rear wheels of the truck in and make it a more level platform, then simply push the bike up into the back of the truck. That's how I do my riding lawnmower when I have to load it up, hehe.

Just a thought.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - James Marshall Hendrix

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Comment

FL = flat ... i'm thining a longish wide board would do the trick... wish i had my dads trailer w/ in 2 hrs from me

Comment

Two boards, 2x6 and nail them together on the underside so they don't split apart while you load the bike.

Beyond that, don't forget the tie-downs. You'll need two long ones or 4 short one's.
        "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

This sounds kinda rigged, but maybe you could use two ratchet straps? Have one going across the front of the bed, then attach the end of another to the middle. Then somehow connect to the bike without damaging it and just ratchet it up while the other person keeps it upright. Then again the ratchet strap can only pull in so much.

....eh I didn't it would work either.
          '01 TL1000R

Comment

hmm i have a come-a-long or 2 laying around... good idea... had forgotten about them

Comment

With 2 people we've just He-Manned the bike into the back of the truck before . REAL fun with a flat tire . Do-able , but REALLY hard on the back and hands .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

when my buddy trucked his old madura back, he rented a ramp from home depot for 5 bucks or so and he just pushed - one holding the bars to keep it straight and the other behind. getting it out was much better.

Long Live the D

Comment

I've used the ditch method, and the plank/ramp method. Bikes aren't really that heavy. 2 grown men should be able to push it up into the truck. If you had 3 guys total, you could probably just lift it in there. We lifted my bike with 2 guys on the front end, and one on the back.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

asked my boss today (he's got a few harleys) and he said he had some ramps i could use...

also mentioned... if you remove the straps that hold the tail gate flat on a truck that it would angle down and would be a bit closer to the ground... wheelie the bike up into the bed would work well... or help even w/ ramps

Comment

PUSH......

Comment

if you have a second person, the the guy you are buying the bike from then that makes 3 people. 3 could lift it easly into the back of the truck. I have used car ramps in the past and also ditches.

Comment

DO NOT drop the tailgate down like that- puts an ugly dent in the tailgate. Also, mid and mini trux need the tailgate to make the bed long enough to carry the bike.

Use a long ratchet strap, or even a cam lock strap:

Hook one end to the RF of the truck bed.

Run the strap behind the forks, just below the bottom tripple clamp.

Hook the other end to the LF of the bed

Pull on the loose end (cam lock strap) or ratchet in the strap. Have your buddy steady the bike. This give you 2:1 mechanical advantage, and will go faster than come-a-long.

Worked for me!
                          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Working...
                          X