X

"New Kat" needs help.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New Kat" needs help.

After riding 5 bikes (used) every Sunday for about a month settled on an 03 Kat 600 (yellow) with 1725 orig. mi. ($3100 with 2 AGV helmets). Runs a little rough and simply cannot raise the idle...still feels like the knob is so tight and snaps back when attempting adjustment. Was never properly serviced but I knew that at time of purchase. I'm sure it needs carbs cleaned and valves adjustment. (My other choice was an 02, also yellow, with just under 3K miles with a Yoshi pipe that ran well but he wanted $3800 so I figure I'll just about come out even with this one after proper servicing).
    LMT

Be careful with the one that doesn't run so well...there are numerous threads at this sight on "nightmare" Kats that some one didn't service properly...me being one of them...don't get me wrong I love my Kat but she can be a PITA...Make sure there is not more damage because of the negleted service...Others can probably comment more than me....I would pay the higher price for the 02 that has had proper service....

My story...about 3 years ago I purchased an '89 Katana. Really good deal $1,400.00 ran ok. The guy said that it was running a little rought but was that way when he bought it...I had a buddy come up with me to look at it...he was more into motorcycles than I was at the time...After an inspection, taking off the farings, looking for oil leaks and then looking at the frame, wheels, etc. My buddy took it for a test ride...I didn't have a liscense at the time so I didn't want to ride it plus I trust my friend. He comes back and says it was a bit rough but probably a carb adjustment. I buy it and take it home. First thing I do it take it to a mechaninc to have the carbs adjusted. The mechanic says the reason it was running rough was that it had a Yoshi pipe but had not been rejetted so it needed it, then he added more stuff that needed to be done...so I was at about $700.00 in repairs...never did idle correctly...well rode it like that for about 2 years...did my own maintenance...well finally found another mechanic because the other one went out of business..Hmmm wonder why??...any ways I went to the dreaded Dealership and spoke with the mechanic...luckly he knew what he was doing and after a swap of carburators, change of coils, and fixing of a wiring issue (which the first mechanic should have found) the bike is up and running fine...then yesterday happens...bike won't turn on find out that sometime in the past someone had probably tried to hotwire the ignition by cutting the ignition wires...one of them broke not allowing me to turn on the bike....I was able to fix it myself...but this is what happens when you buy a used bike that was not serviced correctly...now most people would sell off the bike and say screw it..but like I said I love my bike and I don't blame her...she was not the problem the people that did not take care of her are the problem...I guess this is long enough so I'll end it with make sure you read other peoples comments..
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Oh my God that's a scary story but thanks anyway!
      LMT

Comment

Not a problem...I like to share my stories and read other peoples because that's the way we learn. Hopefully you'll stick around and become a regular here even if you don't end up with a Kat...the people here have a lot of experience with all types of bikes and I have learned a lot from them and hopefully shared my knowledge to where someone else was able to prevent their own mistakes......were just one big disfunctional happy (sometimes sad)...FAMILY!!
        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

An 03 with 1750 miles????? Damn that's abuse .

Change the oil, clean the carbs, and you might as well check the Valves to see if they need to be adjusted. Inspect the inside of the tank too.

Then see how she runs.

Also you'll want to change the fork oil, brake fluid, carefully inspect the chain and If it were me slap on some fresh rubber if you getting her running smoothly.

With the mileage that low I'd say she sat for quite a while and is no doubt all gummed up.
          Kyle

Comment

Working...
          X