X

Mount a GPS on a 750 Kat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mount a GPS on a 750 Kat?

Is it just me, or does it seem like there is enough spare console plastic on a Kat to mount a GPS unit? Has anyone done this?
    2006 750 Red/Silver Kat.

I mounted my garmin quest onto my Katana, using the garmin mounting cradle, and a mount from RAM mounts that attaches to the brake fluid resevoir(spelled wrong, I know) using the two screws. It works pretty good ,and I have it hard wired into the bike so that it's not running on battery and the screen is always lit up, and I also have the headphone jack with the mounting cradle(the quest doesn't have one stock)

Comment

Hey, I was thinking of mounting a Garmin too. If possible, could you post a pic of it? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
      2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

With great Horsepower, comes great Responsibility!

Comment

I hope I was clear, I meant post a pic of how you mounted it on the Katana. I know you have explained it, but I just was curious as to how it looks on the Katana and whether you detach it when you park the bike in a parking lot.

Thanks again.
        2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

Sure thing..sorry it's taken me a few days to reply. I don't get on here often anymore. I'll take a few pics for ya and post them up =)

Comment

i mounted using a ram mount on the handlebar. not much spare space on the handlebar, but there was enough. Went with the no-wire option, just run on battery. Which was fine with my garmin quest, but then that got stolen, so my ique 3600 is there - but has a crap battery life, isn't water proof, etc.

Comment

Alright, I pulled the bike out for a minute and took some pictures. It's the garmin mounting cradle on a ram mount with the long arm. I have it hard wired with all the wiring running underneath the fairings. Here ya go...

Comment

Garmin's handlebar mounts are cheap. The RAM mounts are by far and away the way to go. A little on the expensive side 30-40 bucks, but worth it.

Comment

Yeah, the mounting hardware I used one mine came out a little on the pricey side. It was about $50-60 for the cradle itself, and then about $40-50 for the ram hardware. It is nice though, and it's nice to have it powered from the bike all the time, and have the back light on at all times. So far I've mainly just used the GPS for knowing my actual speed, but with the cradle comes the plug in for earphones, and I have a pair of the Koss sparkplug earbuds which are super nice, so I just need to cut some foam out from the ear region of my helmet, and I'll be set to receive turn by turn directions from the GPS.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the pictures man
                    2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

how much is your kat's speedometer off as compared to the gps?
                      Roops Photography|facebook|
                      03 GSXR 1000
                      04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                      Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

No problem about the pictures. I love posting up pictures of things, and it's even better when it helps somebody out.

My katana has a -1 front sprocket on it, and when it reads 70 I'm actually going 60, and the gap goes up a bit from there. Like 92mph indicated is actually 80(my interstate cruising speed). Maybe the next time i have it out with the GPS, if I remember to do it, I'll make mental note of the differences at each speed, going up in 10mph incriments.

Comment

Working...
                        X