Need katana help for friend

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUPA-FLY-KAT
    replied
    100% AGREE WITH CYBERPOET...PART OUT THE BIKE...SELL GOOD PARTS ON EBAY...AND 4 BOUT THOUS DOLLARS MORE , U CAN PROB GET A DECENT BIKE

Leave a comment:

• Special K
    replied
    Tough to tell from the pics,but I'd guess the frame is fine. I'd inspect the welds around the front yoke to see if you can spot cracks in the paint......a telltale sign of stressed welds on these bikes, which woudl indicate bent main stem, or trashed frame!

I'd strip it down to the bare frame and engine, and redo everything. That's what I do! Takes about 2-4 hours to remove everything, and about 10-20 to put it all back on including cleaning time and such. Helps to have all the parts there when you start, and of course to know where everything goes

My best time to date: 2 hours to strip, 8 to totally rebuild, includign body. Only took 2 weeks off & pn to plan and layout 8)

ALTERNATIVE IDEA # 3:
    If he's got a title, sell it to me & I'll sell him a completed one!

Leave a comment:

• Special K
    replied
    Originally posted by Court93Kat
    BTW... did anyone else notice the front fender is mounted backwards? Just something that caught my eye.

It's NOT..........that's the way they are on the 98+ Kats.........the narrow part goes in the back, like in the first pic.

Leave a comment:

• Special K
    replied
    patracy:

I think the engein case looks busted by the timing cover (Front RIGHT). If that's the case, she's shot unless you know someone that is a true ARTIST with a mini-heliarc gun!

I have spare engines though for that bike, and they are pretty reasonable.

I don't have forks, actually looking for a couple of sets for me and Range......

I probably have all the rest or at leat 90% of what he'll need..........I can make up a list for him but it would be best to have him contact me......

I'll make him a package deal.

Where's he located?

Leave a comment:

• ThAzKat
    replied
    I was close and it is still the same process. LOL

Leave a comment:

• The CyberPoet
    replied
    Originally posted by THAZKAT
    ...have the frame inspected by a shop, umm, I think the word is magnaflow the frame.
    It's Magnaflux and Magnaglo (www.magnaflux.com). You coat the frame with it to see imperfections, cracks and other damages that would be hidden under the powdercoat. If the use of either of those frame inspection systems indicates serious damages, part out the bike's good parts for $$ and get a different bike. I'd recommend starting with an used Ninja 500 for a beginner -- cheap, easy to find, will hold it's value if he doesn't total it. Look for one under $1500 in good shape.

On a different note, Suzuki made a GSX750 in some markets (not a GSX750F nor GSX750R, just GSX750 with no following letter) that is basically a naked version of the Kat. You might want to investigate that if you want something unique (at least unique in the USA) and don't want to buy full fairings and do a complete rebuild. Renntec makes engine protection bars for that (unfaired) bike. Here's a picture of the 1998 model:

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet

Leave a comment:

• JesterGfx
    replied
    If nothing's been put into it and he got it for free, I'd definately take it in as a project bike... a long project bike to work on overtime. But that's just me, I've always been interested in picking up a cheap project bike to fix up. In the mean time I'd get a second inexpensive bike to fufill my riding needs.

BTW, beautiful Tillis!

Leave a comment:

• ThAzKat
    replied
    Originally posted by Range
    Yeah...and I am first in line for Special K's forks!
    for your Triumph????????????

Leave a comment:

• md86
    replied
    Hey , I got one of them Tillis' , too ! Same color and everything . Except I can't ride mine cause it's only 3 inches tall .

Leave a comment:

• WildKat
    replied
    Dizamn..that beast gives me chills everytime I see it!

Leave a comment:

• patracy
    replied
    Originally posted by SweetLou
    Well, if he has $0 Dollars in it, then it may make for a good project. If the frame is good, then hell yeah. If you are going to replace the front forks, go with gixxer forks, makes for a meaner machine from what I have heard. Farings, go some used ones off ebay, and repaint them, along with the headlight assembly and everything. I bet he could get it back together in pretty good shape for about $1500 bucks, depending on how much of the work he can do himself.
    You know..... I've got a set of RGV USD forks here.........

Leave a comment:

• patracy
    replied
    Originally posted by Dennis Wilson
    Hiya Pat! How's that Tillis doin??
    What this one?

Leave a comment:

• Range
    replied
    Yeah...and I am first in line for Special K's forks!

Leave a comment:

• SweetLou
    replied
    Originally posted by THAZKAT
    the least he could do is part it out and have enough money to put a down payment on a good bike.
    Tru Dat

Leave a comment:

• ThAzKat
    replied
    I think everyone is guiding you in the right direction. I would completely tear down the meft over parts and have the frame inspected by a shop, umm, I think the word is magnaflow the frame. Shoot for a free bike, the least he could do is part it out and have enough money to put a down payment on a good bike.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X