X

Transporting the Kat while moving..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transporting the Kat while moving..

I'm looking for some advice or maybe a tip or caution.

In about 2 weeks in going to be moving from PHX AZ to DFW TX. I have an 05 Siverado 2500hd extended cab regular box. I'll be towing an enclosed trailer with the household and was planning to carry the bike in the truck bed. So here's the problem. The truck bed is 78.7in and the 05 Kat750 is 84.3in and I can't tow with the tailgate down. So I end up short 5.6 in. Would it be better to angle the bike in the box and just strap the front and not the rear. Or the other idea is that since the difference is less than 6in is to put the tailgate in the trailer place a 2x8 in the bed that runs 9 or 12in past the end of the box and load the bike straight on top of the 2x8 this way I get four good tiedown points. The concern I have is the 2x8 moving around under the bike but with 465lbs and the strap tensing is this really a concern?

Any comments, forseeable problems other recommendations or ideas?

I had the same issue while transporting my Kat. I angled it, and tied it down at 4 points with ratchet tie-downs. That way you can get unequal lengths for both sides, which would be needed if the bike is angled.

Just make sure you don't cover it with a tarp. It'll cause a lot of scuffing.
    Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Just do the second part minus the board. The trailer is going to block the bike from coming all the way out if something was to happen. Now have you thought about putting the bike in the trailer and putting some of the household stuff in the bed? Is that an option?
      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

put the bike in cornor to cornor youll be fine just tie down bot the front and back with the rally so close maybe someone has a pic

Comment

Yeah, I'd pack the tailgate up on the trailer. You don't really need a board to sit the bike you, but you could if you wanted. I don't like to angle bikes in a truck if I don't have to.

Comment

I transport mine in a trailer that is a wee bit short as well, so I do it corner to corner. works fine for me. I wouldn't put anything under it though. it just increases the chances of it moving on you. with just the bike, you have the tires and the truck bed....which is better than tire/wood, wood/truckbed. half the contact surface means half the chance of slipping.

I have a question/suggestion......is the trailer you will be pulling, yours? if so, slap a hitch to it and rent a small trailer to pull behind that. I went camping next to a lake this week, and would have to say 75% of the rigs were arriving that way. a truck, followed by a camper....followed by a boat/trailer. It is the cheapest option if you can't get the bike into your box.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

In some states here in the US, towing like that requires a CDL license.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Isn't the distance from the front of the front tire to the contact patch of the rear tire less than 78inches? You will have the back of the tire/tail sticking out, but that wouldn't make a difference... just as long as you secure it well enough that it won't slide back at all. I guess the point is, I don't think the piece of wood would do anything for you.

Comment

Thats the one thing I need to find out is if the rear tire will hang over with it staight. If the tire hangs over thats what the wood would be for. The more I think about it a little sideways would be better even though I'm not to hot on strapping at different angles. No the trailer is going to be full and dont think I want to try and pack around the bike and have something shift. I've seen double trailers before but having another trailer behind a 6.5wX12lX7h box excluding wheels and not being able to see the second I dont know.

Comment

all I know is this week I have seen 25ft plus campers behind pickups, and boat trailers behind them. I plan on doing that when I buy my camper. getting caught one day in the rain made me decide it is time for a camper and to heck with the tent bs.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

have your wife, g/f, or buddy drive the truck and ride the bike!!!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Good news from front tire front to rear tire contact patch is 75in the bed is 78in so I should be good stowing the tailgate in the trailer keeping the bike straight and even tied downs on four corners. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Working...
                        X