X

Good Deal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Deal?

I've got a friend from high school that found a Kat 600 (a friend of his from the FD is selling it) for $2500 or $3000. It's an 01 Yellow Kat 600 with 6k miles on it. It needs a battery and "carb work." If I take care of the battery and carb work, it's $2500. If his friend takes care of it, it's $3000. What do you guys think? Good deal? The only downside I can see is that it's yellow, I'm not terribly partial to that color on any vehicle but I suppose that would make it that much more visible......
    Counting the pennies everyday until there's enough of em to buy my *new* Katana.

Sound like a good deal either way.
    A brand new battery will cost you about $65 shipped. That will leave you with $435 for the carb.
    What is wrong with the carb? Is it just cleaning and maintenace, or it needs serious work?
    If you DIY type of guy, you can do the work yourself and save few $$.

You can't loose on either deal.

Comment

Personaly it sounds like a good deal to me.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I'd say offer to pay the $3K and let him have the work done. This way you can have it inspected by a mechanic after all the work is completed to ensure there is nothing more serious wrong with the bike. While the owner thinks it may only need carb work and a battery, there could be other issues.

Or, I suppose you could offer to pay the $2,500 and have the bike inspected before buying and see what a mechanic truly feels is necessary to get the bike in good running order.

In either case, have the bike inspected by a mechanic before you hand over any of your hard earned cash. It's $$$ well spent up front whenever buying a used vehicle.

BTW - YELLOW is the best color 8)
        ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE1000
          What is wrong with the carb? Is it just cleaning and maintenace, or it needs serious work?
          Not really sure actually, my friend just knows that it needs "carb work."

Originally posted by Yellow2002Kat
          BTW - YELLOW is the best color Cool
          I like Blue myself.
          Counting the pennies everyday until there's enough of em to buy my *new* Katana.

Comment

2001 & 6k miles - sounds like it's just build-up. if thats it i'd pay the $2500 and take it to a shop - for $500 you can get the carbs cleaned & valves adjusted + have a battery installed.

but... it's a 2001 ! check brake lines, tires, brakes. the first thing i do is look in the tank - if there is ANY sign of rust i walk away.

tim

Comment

Working...
            X