X

How to decide on Sprocket Size

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to decide on Sprocket Size

I was wondering how I should go about deciding on Sprocket size, and do you typically change both the front and the back or just one or the other?

I want better accelteration but without significantly compromising my top speed.

Where do you purchase sprockets from, are they often sold at the parts counter at my local suzuki dealership?

How much does this swap usually cost?

Thanks!

JP
    Two Wheels: 2005 Katana 600

Four Wheels: 1995 Turbo Nissan Maxima

I have an 04 600 and wen down 1 in front and up7 in the rear and it works great
    here's some southerly advice that may come in handy down the road a piece... Next time you are too drunk to drive, walk to the nearest pizza shop and place a delivery order. When they go to deliver it, catch a ride home with them.
    http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/dragkota98/

Comment

Was it a drastic change? How is your accleteration and what is your Top Speed?

Thanks.
      Two Wheels: 2005 Katana 600

Four Wheels: 1995 Turbo Nissan Maxima

Comment

much better acceleration and I top out at about 155 on the speedo
        here's some southerly advice that may come in handy down the road a piece... Next time you are too drunk to drive, walk to the nearest pizza shop and place a delivery order. When they go to deliver it, catch a ride home with them.

Comment

you went up 7 in the rear???? that's intense! did you get a speedohealer or other similar product to correct your speedo?

Long Live the D

Comment

Originally posted by paradoxmd
            you went up 7 in the rear???? that's intense! did you get a speedohealer or other similar product to correct your speedo?
            +1

w/o the speedohealer is prob how he got the 155. w/ that change, should be going that fast.
            Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

Comment

No not yet but that is about 20%off so it is still around120-125!

Comment

damn , -1 front is usually pretty good for MOST people .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i went down one in the front and up 2 in the back... it is MUCH better than stock.. about 11% or so. kinda sings on the interstate though... 6500-6600 at 75-80
                  Without Fuel, Fire, and Compression- Air just seems useless!

Comment

Anyone ever gear their bike for better fuel economy? Up 1 in the front? Wouldn't this likely make the speedo more-accurate too? (since it's clearly 7-10% optimistic most of the time anyway).

I read a weblog about a guy in TX running a Ninja 250 (just got one for my wife) and he put sprokets on that were netting him at minimum 70mpg and at best 80mpg! He changed from a 14:45 to a 15:41...

Comment

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT
                      http://www.theyeagergroup.com/kawasaki_ninja_250.htm
                      CHeck out Nathaniel in that jacket. Pretty funny
                      But hey, at least he stays safe.
                      Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
                      - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by hellcamp
                        CHeck out Nathaniel in that jacket. Pretty funny
                        But hey, at least he stays safe.
                        I see what ya mean

That's a great article that guy has written up though. Lots of info if want a cheap commuter bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                          That's a great article that guy has written up though. Lots of info if want a cheap commuter bike.
                          Definitely. I just got a Ninja 250 for my wife - and while it's not exactly what I'd want in a sport-touring bike (I'm thinking a 1000 miles on it would kill my backside), surprisingly I really enjoy riding it around the local area - and it actually handles highway speeds decently (even with my 225lb frame)!

Comment

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT
                            I just got a Ninja 250 for my wife... surprisingly I really enjoy riding it around the local area
                            See... it's true. Scooters are like fat chicks. When your friends aren't looking, you wanna go for a ride.
                            Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
                            - Albert Einstein

Comment

check this out

Here you go
                              Attached Files
                              1996 Suzuki gsx-f 750 fighter
                              1988 Yamaha tzr 250 with tt350 fourstroke fitted
                              2004 Schwinn stingray with 80cc twostroke fitted

Comment

Working...
                              X