No announcement yet.
X

Gear vs. No Gear Perceptions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take jabs from a lot of the (older) guys at work for the money I spend on gear. Since I started riding a little over 2 years ago, I figure I've spent at least several thousand dollars on jackets, pants, gloves, helmets, etc.

I have gear that's good for riding a little more than in 3 seasons.

I know that as long as I'm comfortable the chances of having a smack up are less.

I wish the guys in t-shirts and jeans the best of luck, I know that eventually I'll go down. I'm just hoping that when it does happen the gear saves my hide...

I only mention it because I'm taking the MSF class for the second time, and one of the Harley guys was sweating his nuts off Sunday afternoon. I made an off-hand comment about mesh being king in warm weather (especially at slow speeds) he just grinned and bared it. "Harley guys wear jean jackets and sometimes leathers, so that's what I wear."
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

wearing all your gear

I Always wear my full leathers when I ride.I had recent occasion when away to get a rental .They didnt supply anything but the brain bucket and a bike 500 G.S .I was on a small island with a small population .I rode the bike along the coast with top speeds of 35 miles- 50 klms .I loved the ride but was not comfortable with the exposed road rash potential.Now I always bring a leather jacket when I travel.

Their are riders who have fallen and their are those that are about to fall .Hope your in leathers when the rubber leaves the ashphault .I fell once fifteen years ago and am glad I was in my gear .

Be safe and keep the rubber side down
      I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

I usualy always wear my boots and jacket ALWAYS wear gloves.
        If its to run to napa or PO a block or two away I will ride with out my gear, but I can't recal a time I have rode out of my lil podunk one horse town without my gear.
        I feel nakid without it.

FF helmet
        CF knuckle race gloves
        Icon Merc II Jacket or leather jacket with armor
        Shift assult pants
        Shift leg armor
        Levin sport boots

Even in the winter and on my dirtbike I wear my icon jacket under my jersey or winter jacket. jest protector/elbow pads in the summer
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I don't think you should be allowed to ride a bike without a helmet. It should be a law in all states. And full clothing. Meaning at least pants a shirt and shoes. ive seen dumb kids riding gixxers or cbrs with fricken flip flops on.!!! that made me mad knowing that someone would risk their body like that.

i admit i do wear shortss, but i also have the icon field armor gear, (leg, arm and body covering) so i still have protective gear on.
          Last edited by STULER; 01-05-2009, 03:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
          Current Bikes:
          1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

For me i believe in gear but i definitely admit to not wanting to wear for leathers when meeting friends for breakfast. I don't want to sit around looking like Duhamel at the diner. But defintely a jacket,gloves,helmet. Or at least i used to have that stuff when i had my first bike now i have to buy it all over again. And cost is an issue as well i cannot afford to buy some of this stuff either so i will have to seriously shop around and i also will have to consider that i live in South Florida and 95% humidity and 95 degrees is common in the summer. I used to bake in my leather jacket and it actually made my rides miserable instead of enjoyable so i'll have to look at cooler alternatives. I never owned a pair of real riding boots i never saw any i wanted to walk around in but this time i'll have to look at boots as well.
            sigpic

Comment

for all the poor riders, I am with you guys.

I spent $800 on my BIKE, so when people would tell me I needed a $400 helmet, i just laughed at them!

I got my mesh shift armored jacket for $80, my girlfriends gmax for $100, my icon gloves for $45, my scorpion (most expensive gear I have ever bought, but worth it) exo 700 for $225 and my girlfriends moto gp armored jacket for $45.

A bike and gear for two people for $1,295 doesn't seem too bad.

Comment

there is no need to buy high cost protective gear... brand name gear is just that a brand name.
                I sell leather CF knuckle race gloves for 32 bucks... no need for a pair of JR for $80..
                Same with our jackets and pants etc most are made in china just like most of the other brand name gear.

I'm an Icon, Vega, Thor, HCI, HJC, Z1R helmet dealer
                I own Icon, HCI and Vega helmets, the one I wear on a daily basis is my Vega Altura (havok)...
                Its one of the best helmets I have owned and sell in my shop and puts some of the other BIG brand name helmets to shame as far as comfort, noise and quality. and at less the $100 that pretty sad.

I sell leather race pants and Nexo race suits in my shop but wear motocross pants... they are light weight, very cool, padded, allow for great movement and stretch, and VERY well constructed and a lot stronger and abrasion resistant then jeans. With my $30 leg armor under them I'm well protected and still comfortable in HOT weather. Most people don't know they are off road pants unless I tell them or point it out.
                Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-05-2009, 11:56 AM.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                  there is no need to buy high cost protective gear... brand name gear is just that a brand name.
                  I sell leather CF knuckle race gloves for 32 bucks... no need for a pair of JR for $80..
                  Same with our jackets and pants etc most are made in china just like most of the other brand name gear.

I own Icon, HCI and Vega helmets, the one I wear on a daily basis is my Vega Altura (havok)...
                  Its one of the best helmets I have owned and sell in my shop and puts some of the other BIG brand name helmets to shame as far as comfort, noise and quality. and at less the $100 that pretty sad.

I sell leather race pants and Nexo race suits in my shop but wear motocross pants... they are light weight, very cool, padded, allow for great movement and stretch, and VERY well constructed and a lot stronger and abrasion resistant then jeans. With my $30 leg armor under them I'm well protected and still comfortable in HOT weather. Most people don't know they are off road pants unless I tell them or point it out.
                  If I wanted I could wear paintball pants and they would have much greater protection than jeans and be more breathable than jeans too.

I love paintball pants, they have protection everywhere and are designed to not rip even when sliding all day long on them.

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post

Although I agree that in some cases there is no need for a "name" on your gear. The one thing that you get with an $80 pair of Joe rocket gloves is an assurance that the products have been crash tested (if not by the factory than at least by the many that have gone down wearing them. That's great that you offer Cf knuckle no name gloves for 32.00 but what sort of crash testing has been done on them?

At the Bike show in Toronto this weekend there was all kinds of no name gear being offered for 1/2 the price of "Name brand" gear. Some of it is probably as good, but the one that stands out the most for me was the unfamiliar brand 2 pc suit that had the stitching coming apart. for the most part, leather is leather, it is the stitching that is the difference between poor quality and good quality.

Same goes for helmets. I don't consider a helmet to be the best because it is quiet and comfortable. For me, I gage quality based on experiences. Luckily I have friends that race, and have crashed in most brands of gear including helmets. I tend to seek their opinions when i am shopping for gear.

The most important thing to remember for gear is that it must fit properly. cheap gear that fits well, is far better than top quality gear that does not fit well.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
                      Although I agree that in some cases there is no need for a "name" on your gear. The one thing that you get with an $80 pair of Joe rocket gloves is an assurance that the products have been crash tested (if not by the factory than at least by the many that have gone down wearing them. That's great that you offer Cf knuckle no name gloves for 32.00 but what sort of crash testing has been done on them?

At the Bike show in Toronto this weekend there was all kinds of no name gear being offered for 1/2 the price of "Name brand" gear. Some of it is probably as good, but the one that stands out the most for me was the unfamiliar brand 2 pc suit that had the stitching coming apart. for the most part, leather is leather, it is the stitching that is the difference between poor quality and good quality.

Same goes for helmets. I don't consider a helmet to be the best because it is quiet and comfortable. For me, I gage quality based on experiences. Luckily I have friends that race, and have crashed in most brands of gear including helmets. I tend to seek their opinions when i am shopping for gear.

The most important thing to remember for gear is that it must fit properly. cheap gear that fits well, is far better than top quality gear that does not fit well.
                      Well said Chinto. Most of the bigger name companies have been around a while and have gear that is proven. That is not to say that there isn't some good cheap stuff out there. If I go to the trouble of wearing gear all the time, I want something that is PROVEN. I know that JR and the companies build quality gear that do the job well. I have seen many cheaper brands, where the seams have tore out. I will personally pay the extra money to get good gear.

Some gear is better than no gear. If you can't afford the more expensive stuff then get something cheaper. However, I believe that most people can get the good stuff for the same prices as the cheap stuff, you just need to know where to shop. For example, I bought a brand new Joe Rocket leather racing jacket yesterday at the bike show. This is a beautiful jacket and goes for $525.00. I bought it at the bike show yesterday for $95.00 out the door. I didn't even need another jacket, I have three other JR leather race jackets already. This jacket was sweeeet, and it was a steal, so I bought it. I had just bought another new jacket two weeks ago. It was a Joe Rocket perforated leather Honda racing jacket. Like brand new, worn once or twice.

If you shop in the closeout sections of New Enough and some of the other big online shops, you will find stuff marked down 50% - 90% off. You just need to check the sites once or twice a week, because you never know when they will have something listed on there for you. I haven't payed full retail for any of my gear. All of my stuff was bought at awesome prices by shopping around online, through the local riders, and looking on Ebay.
                      2007 Honda CBR600rr
                      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                      sigpic

Comment

This is a very touchy subject and each and everyone of us has our own personal opinion of what is right for each of us. In the many years that I have been riding motorcycle's, I have found many people that have self-appointed themselves the most intelligent person in the world and the only one in the world with a right to an opinion. They also think they should be a law forcing everyone else to carry out their opinion since they are the only one in the world with any intelligence -- everyone else is just a dumb ***.

I ride with two groups of people, one group being in sport bike's, and in their opinion, I don't wear enough protective gear. When I ride with the cruiser crowd, they think I have too much protective gear and that I am trying to be noticed and I am trying to be a wanna-be racer.

I chalk both groups up in one category -- trying to be something they aren't. I do things my way and I don't try to impress anyone. If someone has a problem with this, then it is their problem and they are the ones that will have to deal with it. I try to respect everyone's personal opinion as to what they should or should not wear, for it is their decision not mine. I found out a long time ago "opinions are like posteriors, everyone has one, some just have a little more of a an odaseous odor than others.

Today I went riding with the cruiser's and they laughed at my full face helmet, my armored gloves, my armored jacket (which is a little too tight at 5x). I just smiled and enjoyed the ride.

I am strictly against any laws saying a person has to do something that some over glorified idiot wants and thinks tyranny is the way to go. I am strictly in favor of the people wearing what they feel comfortable with. It's their body and should be their choice -- well -- it should be.

Comment

I am beyond caring what gear people ride in. It is their decision and I do not care.
                          The only person I have a say on about gear is my family. I told my wife if I ever saw her on her bike without her helmet and jacket it was going to be sold that week.

Comment

But for all the "poor" people out there, a helmet that costs 400 ???? come on. use a better example. you dont have to go out and buy and Arai or a SHoei, u can get a good helmet for like 100 bucks, maybe not the best but its something. (HJC, KBC) and jackets of clearance for like 50 bucks. you just have to look.

And everyones right and wrong. Like my grandfather says, "opions are like a** holes, every one has one". But I just cant believe that people would not take the minor precautions to protect themselves. Its their own body but riding a motorcycle should be for fun not for a fashion show.
                            Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                            Current Bikes:
                            1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                            2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post

Yeah some stuff out there is made dirt cheap and not worth it. but guess what they usually come with a very small price tag.
                              I also sell CF knuckled gloves for less but they are not a racing glove and would not be nearly as high of quality and can't be compared to one another. Apples to oranges so they say.
                              I sell some no name but most of my stuff is brandname Nexo, Alpinestars, Prospeed, Thor, Icon etc.
                              I've seen a lot of comparisons but they are not nearly fair or thought out very well. comparing brands but not quality/price range
                              Thats like taking a pair of my cheapest no name gloves or my lowest cost prospeed gloves and comparing them to my $150 alpinestars gloves... uuuummmm yeah HUGE difference in quality but compare my $120 prospeed gloves to the Alpinestars and guess what... not so much of a difference anymore. Both have kevlar double stitches, same padding and same design/materials used etc. The top of the line no name products are often better then the lower priced BRAND name products and still cheaper.
                              Are the $150 alpinestars gloves better then the $80 JR gloves .. I highly doubt it... APS stuff is so overpriced its not funny... but you are payin for the name.

Many products are manufatured by the same company and distributed to other companies. Some with brand names some without.
                              Just as another example, my Levin sport/touring boots are made by YIDA Shoes&Garment Co. the same company that makes the Vega nitro sport/touring boot. The Vegas sell for a lot less.... same boot, same company.
                              Our no name brand goggles come from Austria.. guess what.. made by the same company as Scoot goggles... sell for half the price. They come in the same packaging, same markings, same quality control stamps etc...

Long gone are the days of you get what you pay for...
                              I buy my jeans at Steve and Barry's $7~$14 and guess what, they are just as good or better then the $75 old navy jeans.
                              Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-06-2009, 02:38 AM.
                              98 GSX750F
                              95 Honda VT600 vlx
                              08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Okay let me start off by saying I have been riding for 15 years and I have went back and forth on the amount of deal I wear. About 6 months ago I put my Kat down at 60. I slide across the road into a ditch. I was wearing my body armor, CF gloves, and my full face helmet. I was wering my dress shoes and Slacks as well. When I slide off the road I threaded a Telephone pole and a 4x4 post only to flip over and land right next to a tree. I was extremely lucky I only dislocated my shoulder and bruised my hip I didn't even rip my slacks.

Now to each there own but you should always were your gear no matter what. I still am looking for a good pair of riding pants I can wear over my slacks that will both be comfortable and provide enough protection.

The HD guys have to have the hard azz persona and that will get you killed they don't call them brain buckets for nothing. I would rather sweat, or be made fun of than be 6 feet under or drinking soup out of a straw for the rest of my life.

Just my 2 cents.......... Safe riding to all!!!!!!
                                Chris Powell

Comment

Working...
                                X