X

Freaking haters.... (rant)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freaking haters.... (rant)

OK, first a little background. I work a seasional job at a corn research station. I help them package the seed to ship out, plant it, grow it, harvest it, collect data on it. I worked there last summer, riding my bike often.

Anyway, I rode my motorcycle to work yesterday. At lunch, one of my good friends (full-timer) hands me an e-mail and says "I hate to do this, but someone wanted me to bring it up." It was an e-mail about company policy (where I work is part of the whole) - against motorcycles, 4 wheelers / ATVs, and "2 wheeled vehicles." It more or less said "we just don't allow them." Didn't say why, didn't give any reasons, just said "no." Well, needless to say I was pissed and everyone else that works there was pissed as well (except for the guy that made it an issue). Everyone there doesn't have a problem with me riding my bike into work, except this one jerk (who I never really did like... ).

So, that's my rant. Oh, and is that even legal?
    "Sic vis pacum para bellum - If you want peace, prepare for war."

Only if they use that reasoning to refuse to cover you under insurance or something. When I was in the Navy, they make you jump through all kinds of hoops just to own and ride a bike (legally). Of course 70% of the riders in the service are young squids with no license, no jacket, tennis shoes and teeshirts. So I can see a point there.
    TiM

Comment

You could try looking into it and find out why thier banned, it may be as you said an insurance thing and maybe (since it mentioned atvs) it refer's to off road bikes.
      Kyle

Comment

Do people ride BICYCLES to your work?

If they do, and the policy states "2 wheeled vehicles".....

RAISE HELL.

Comment

They can't keep you from riding. They can keep you from parking on their property, but they can't keep you from riding.
          2005 Aprilia RST1000
          2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
          1998 Chevy Tahoe
          www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

Their property is most likely private (company) property. They can make whatever "reasonable" rules they want regarding the usage of their private property. Sounds like you might be in a rural area, so much of the surrounding property may also belong to them. If you can park in a lot across the street or something you can still ride to work so long as you don't have to travel on their property. If you would have to park far away you might have to suck it up and drive.

Most likely an insurance liability related issue. Although a totally different situation, I'm licensed to carry a firearm. However, I can't carry one into my office nor can I even leave one in my car parked in the office parking lot. Very inconvenient if I want to go to the range on the way home from work, or if I went on a Sunday and forget I left the firearm in the car. I gotta turn around and bring the firearm back home - I don't wanna get fired. That's company policy. They don't have to tell you why - it's their property and they make the rules.

Try to find out more specifics about the rules with HR if possible, but don't raise hell. Keep in mind that you're trying to get people to assist you in defending your side of the issue...

Lastly, if no one else has done so, let me welcome you to Corporate America
            ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

untill it is from a MANAGER, directly to you...you are free to do as you please.

the round-about way it was handled leaves it open to protest.

DO NOT STAND for it...

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow2002Kat
                Their property is most likely private (company) property. They can make whatever "reasonable" rules they want regarding the usage of their private property. Sounds like you might be in a rural area, so much of the surrounding property may also belong to them.
                Yeah, they're in the country -- no "real" place to park close by. So, I'm outta luck.

Although a totally different situation, I'm licensed to carry a firearm. However, I can't carry one into my office nor can I even leave one in my car parked in the office parking lot...That's company policy. They don't have to tell you why - it's their property and they make the rules.
                Yeah, they have a "no firearm" policy as well (although that one doesn't affect me. lol)

Lastly, if no one else has done so, let me welcome you to Corporate America
                Thanks man

Comment

Originally posted by Range
                  untill it is from a MANAGER, directly to you...you are free to do as you please.

the round-about way it was handled leaves it open to protest.

DO NOT STAND for it...
                  I don't know what the jerk who has an issue is in relation to me. All I know is that it wasn't the station head that said something, it was the "saftey guy" (IDK what his real title is -- everything's kinda laid back there. Well, usually... lol)

Comment

well...until the POLICY is SHOWN to you....they have no recourse....I can tell anyone anything at my work...doesn't make it law untill a BOSS tells me, or gives me a written letter.

Comment

I would ask the HR person to show me the policy in the handbook. Also if it was no in policy then you really don't have to do it. I would also see if anyone else knows of this policy and if so when it started and see if that is selectivly enforced. Maybe the guy hates you because his g/f or wife was like cool bike. As my boss says "if it aint documented it didn't happen" Then again i am just a lonely security ass(mean assitant i can't spell today) director lol. Good luck
                      "Wait you are hitting me for something I might do"

Comment

Thank God we do not have any king af restricting policies against bike or anything we might ride to work .... but we do have a dress code that sucks ....
                        Guylaine
                        Try and keep up now

Comment

That realy sucks! I work in a big warehouse and I ride my kat up a ramp on the loading dock and park it right inside the building.

Comment

What the hell kinda crap is that? What next?

Gee, um, you know, your car is red, yeah? Well we can't have that, so if you would, just get some other transportation. Thanks. Oh yeah, um also, we need you to come in on Saturday, so, if, maybe, um you know, the usual time. Thanks again.

Yeah, mine gets parked on the sidewalk right outside my store. Then I sit about six feet from the window, lol.
                            -Stephen

the future's uncertain, and the end is always near - The Doors

Comment

Originally posted by Range
                              well...until the POLICY is SHOWN to you....they have no recourse....I can tell anyone anything at my work...doesn't make it law untill a BOSS tells me, or gives me a written letter.
                              I agree with you and that's why I suggested he go to HR and discuss the situation with them. However, if he works for a company with, let's say, >50 employees he probably had some type of orientation when he sat in a boring meeting and got the handbook that nobody reads. If the policy is in there he's already been made aware of it whether he read it or not. Hopefully HR will be able to clear things up for him. Unfortunately there are a lot of written policies that are overlooked until someone has a personal problem with you. Then they pull out the book. It sucks. Hopefully he'll be happily riding his bike back to work very soon.
                              ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Working...
                              X