X

Need help finding a switched source.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help finding a switched source.

Hey everyone. I was hoping someone could give me a hand with some pics and instructions with this.

I purchased a set of Hot Hands yesterday and want to instal them tonight. The instructions say to connect the pos and neg wires directly to the battery, but I would prefer not to do that. On the off chance that the switch is left on, I don't want to weaken or drain the battery. So I want to find a switched source. I dona't have a proper manual for the bike, as the bike shops have said that one is not available for the '06 yet. Is there someone out there that could give me a hand with this? Please remember that while I know a fair bit, I am very new to bikes and have not had the fairing off of mine yet, so I will be a little lost for the first bit.

Thanks everyone.

Here is a wiring diagram for 98+ Kat. I am not sure if your 06 is covered in the diagram exactly, but it may provide some guidance.

Comment

you might be able to tie in to the cali fan wire.(unless your model is a cali)others might be able to help more with this.

Comment

Tap an ignition wire with a relay?
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I agree with the relay. I would use something like the taillight for the switched source, since it is igntion hot.
          I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

There's a unused plug on the right side under the main fairing. In runs along the frame spar on the outside and I think it's for the fan on a cali model.

If you check with a voltmeter only one of the connecters is live when the ignition is on, I used a relay to the battery with the a wire connected to that one "socket" I just soldered on a male connnecter. Plug it into the switched source and then I put dielectric grease on it and wrapped it up with electrical tape.

that way if I leave my heated grips on I won't wear the battery down.
            Kyle

Comment

Working...
            X