X

The 1988...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1988...

I'm thinking about picking up an '88 1100 while I've got my '89 apart just to knock around on in the nice weather.

Worth it? I think I read the '88s front end is wonky on it - so I am guessing it needs stiffer springs or something in them to keep from doing the tank slap boogie...and I think the carbs are different.

Is it worth picking up or is it more trouble than it's worth? - As in, that much different than my '89 or do you think I'd even notice a difference between the two seat of the pants?

I believe it's the rake of the forks that is the issue. Depends on the price, they are rare and getting even more so, finding parts isn't fun....is it...
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      I believe it's the rake of the forks that is the issue. Depends on the price, they are rare and getting even more so, finding parts isn't fun....is it...
      No...Finding parts isn't. This one has some minor cosmetic damage not uncommon for any bike. Original owner, 2500 miles, $1k. Tires are original...so that there has to be factored in too because my butt isn't riding it far or fast otherwise.

Rake of the fork...So no real way to fix that without welding it on a different angle* then? Crap...

It would make a good parts bike though...but I'd hate doing that...

*That ain't freakin' happening

Comment

It can't be too bad, some here own them and no complaints. For that price fix it up and make some money.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Yeah...was thinking of fixing it up, riding it and flipping it when done.

Most have no appreciation for these bikes and friends being the ball breakers that they are still can't let the 'can of tuna' thing go. Funny thing is, my '89 would completely walk anything they rode (including a tricked out 900RR) 10 years ago.

I don't need to tell you...but these are seriously underrated bikes. I would go so far as to say my jetted & piped '89 would walk my '14 FJR1300ES...and the front tire would be no more than 2" off the ground. The FJR wants to come up if you hammer on it in 1st.

Waiting for more pics...

Comment

I have an '88 Kat 1100 and in stock form with Chen Sing Tires, it was fun to ride. My buddy had one from 1991 to 1997 and he wasn't to far behind my 1992 GSXR 1100. If he had the bike I have now with 17" tires, I might have been chasing him. Since I have two bikes, my Kat is on the radar to be sold. But I bought my Kat off ebay because my last Hayabusa had been stolen a few days earlier and a cheap bike is better than no bike. Its been 11 years now and it is still fun enough to ride that I am not sure I need that garage space for the days when a Harley wont cut it. Also, I have never had an issue finding parts for my bike.
            01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

I have a pipe/ jetted '91 Kat 1100 and my '11 concourse will
              Stomp all over it. It has a modded ecm and will likely do same to
              a fjr 1300.
              Get the 88 kitty, sounds like a near new bike, not even due for a valve
              adjust .

Comment

If you can get an '88 Kat 1100 for a $1,000 with 2,500 miles on it, buy it. I bought mine from Long Island and it had 40,000 miles.
                01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

Working...
                X