What Gearing You Running?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Gearing You Running?

Hey there folks

I've just fitted a new chain a sprockets to the bike, not had a chance to ride it yet due to really bad weather over here in the UK.
    I've fitted a 14 tooth on the front and the standard 52 teeth on the rear, so one less than standard. The bike feels pretty long legged when out on the motorway so I reckon I can go a lower still for more torque, not really bothered about top speed as I'm never gunna try and find out what it'll actually do.
    Anyone know what the best combination for wheel lifting torque is?
    So what are you all running?
    I'm Only 4 Fut 3, But I Look A Lot Bigger From A Distance?

For more low end see if you can find a 54 or 56 tooth rear. Going smaller in the front stresses the chain as it has to turn around a tighter radius.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I'm not sure about the UK, but I highly, highly doubt a 52 tooth rear is standard. In the US it's anywhere from 45 to 47

Comment

Originally posted by Bettyswolloks View Post
        Hey there folks

I've just fitted a new chain a sprockets to the bike, not had a chance to ride it yet due to really bad weather over here in the UK.
        I've fitted a 14 tooth on the front and the standard 52 teeth on the rear, so one less than standard. The bike feels pretty long legged when out on the motorway so I reckon I can go a lower still for more torque, not really bothered about top speed as I'm never gunna try and find out what it'll actually do.
        Anyone know what the best combination for wheel lifting torque is?
        So what are you all running?
        Im running a 15/47 ratio but I have a bandit 1200 engine swapped so lifting The front end is as easy as ham fisting it in 1st or 2nd.

Do you know how to use the cluch to wheelie?

Im not familiar with the 1100 kat but I know my 750 never really power wheelied
        Tekgnomes Crazy Custom Fighter
        The Screaming Banshee <

Big Bore B12 swapped madness

Comment

A 500+ lbs bike doesn't power wheelie. If that's why you bought a motorcycle, you bought the wrong one.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            A 500+ lbs bike doesn't power wheelie. If that's why you bought a motorcycle, you bought the wrong one.
            +1 on that

Doesn't it starve the engine of oil aswell?

I avoid lifting my front wheel like the plague, to much risk on public roads.

If you're having problems getting it up I suggest watching a couple of videos on how to use the cluch to pop em. Fine a nice straight road with no traffic and wear full gear while practicing.

Dont forget to shift your weight back, a lighter header as well as a b12 exhaust cam should help. Are you running a full exhaust with a baffle?
            Last edited by Tekgnome; 12-05-2015, 09:08 PM.
            The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

No, find a damn track to do a wheelie, NOT on a public road.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                No, find a damn track to do a wheelie, NOT on a public road.

If op was going to use a track he would.

There's no thing as a safe public road, just trying to reinforce to wear safety gear.

A track is definitely the best place but if you choose not to do em there at least use caution.

If the police catch you 9/10 times you can expect a ticket.
                The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

Just remember, everything happens for a reason. If you get injured on a motorcycle doing wheelies, the reason is you're an idiot and you make bad decisions.

Comment

In that case stupid would hurt.....
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                      In that case stupid would hurt.....
                      Lol you guys kill meh. I almost cryed laughing at that.

10/10 its why I dont do wheelies.

Op could get a small 10 speed and have at it?
                      The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

Originally posted by Tekgnome View Post
                        10/10 its why I dont do wheelies.
                        That and because you own a Katana.

Comment

Hahahaha my goodness you all seemed to focus in on that one line there didn't you!! God forbid I ever get the urge to wheelie the big blue beast! I cant imagine it being much fun!!
                          Just had an hour out on the beast with the 14tooth front and its not far off having the front skipping above the tarmac, I might go up one, maybe two on the rear sprocket. But I think its about as good as it's going to be.

Do you lads really run such low gearing? With 15-45/47 I cant imagine the big heavy kat being much fun! Would it even rev towards the redline?
                          I'm Only 4 Fut 3, But I Look A Lot Bigger From A Distance?

Comment

52 is standard on the 1100. 45/47 is standard on 600/750
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Bettyswolloks View Post
                              Hahahaha my goodness you all seemed to focus in on that one line there didn't you!! God forbid I ever get the urge to wheelie the big blue beast! I cant imagine it being much fun!!
                              Just had an hour out on the beast with the 14tooth front and its not far off having the front skipping above the tarmac, I might go up one, maybe two on the rear sprocket. But I think its about as good as it's going to be.

Do you lads really run such low gearing? With 15-45/47 I cant imagine the big heavy kat being much fun! Would it even rev towards the redline?
                              Ill probably be dropping down -1/+2 on mine. My b12 is 15/45 stock so im +2 in the rear all ready.

Ive lowered it and im extending my swing arm to help prevent wheelies though. I plan on making 150hp with a 1216 kit
                              The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

Working...
                              X