X

Broken spark plug wires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken spark plug wires

I have been color tuning my 89 GSX1100F and I had one of my 8mm carbon cores wires break at the plug boot. It is not repairable and I am running Dyna coils. I did not put these coils on the bike but I am going to assume that the wires came with the coils. Do I need to keep running the carbon core wires or can I replace the plug boots with screw on ones I have from the stock wires I have? I doubt that the 8mm wires are not resistor type. Other wise I will just get some from a auto store and make up a new set.

On another note, I do have a brand new set of 8mm wires and new NGK resistor plug caps I purchased to put on my CB750. This is a points bike and the wires are for a points ignition set up so I am not sure I can use them for the CDI ignition on my GSX?
    Last edited by bomber737; 04-08-2015, 07:57 PM.

If they are crimp type terminals just replace the terminal and keep going.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

They are but they look to be a factory crimp and I tried to fix it but I couldn't get it to push in far enough on the spark plug boot thingy. It just pulled apart again. I am going to try again but I am not hopeful it will work

Comment

Use dielectric grease on the boot and wire casing to help it slide around easier.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Thats a good idea. thanks Ill have to go out and give it a try.

Comment

spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

I managed to fix the plug wire and now I have it color tuned it starts right up and idles great. Better than it ever has since I have owned it. It was raining today so I didn't get a chance to take it out for a spin so hopefully tomorrow or next week I can finally get it out on the road and see if it likes the factory pro kit I installed in it.

Comment

Working...
              X