X

38mm carbs on my Kat 1100

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 38mm carbs on my Kat 1100

Okay I have a set of 38mm Carburetors that I would like to use on my Kat. I have read the treads of others that have attempted this ,but having issues with the intake boobs being misaligned on the intake port, Or in my case two boots that fit and two that did not. I guess my question is are 38 mm Carburetors applicable to a Katana 1100? IE Which intake boot will lineup on the head, Or is there a 36 mm alternative? Your input is desperately appreciated thank you.
    To many Goddamn LAWS!! Just Ride!

Originally posted by Tuna11 View Post
    Okay I have a set of 38mm Carburetors that I would like to use on my Kat. I have read the treads of others that have attempted this ,but having issues with the intake boobs being misaligned on the intake port, Or in my case two boots that fit and two that did not. I guess my question is are 38 mm Carburetors applicable to a Katana 1100? IE Which intake boot will lineup on the head, Or is there a 36 mm alternative? Your input is desperately appreciated thank you.

What brand/type 38mm carbs? Important to know.

Yes, there are 36s that have/could be used with the 1127 engine. Either the BST or flat sides if avail.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      What brand/type 38mm carbs? Important to know.

Yes, there are 36s that have/could be used with the 1127 engine. Either the BST or flat sides if avail.

Krey
      They are RS38-D19-K.

Comment

They are RS38-D19-K.

Before purchase, you may want to confirm...

But the gsxR 1100s and 750s used boots that are supposed to be compatible with the 38mm flatsides. The engine port spacing is the same, so it's the boots that need matched up.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Before purchase, you may want to confirm...

But the gsxR 1100s and 750s used boots that are supposed to be compatible with the 38mm flatsides. The engine port spacing is the same, so it's the boots that need matched up.

Krey
          That part I know what I need is a part number for the boots. That is the desperately part.

Comment

You're going to lose a lot of torque going with the bigger carbs and I doubt you'll gain much HP in return. Just a thought...
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              You're going to lose a lot of torque going with the bigger carbs and I doubt you'll gain much HP in return. Just a thought...
              Ok I came across a set of 34mm RS's on eBay you think they will work better?

Comment

I disagree with this whole heatedly. Bill, I fully understand where you are coming from. In general the smaller the carburetor bore, the more torque. Carburetor size goes hand and hand with piston bore size. A 750 uses 36mm carbs and it has a smaller piston bore than an 1100. Why the Katana 1100 uses 34mm carbs, I have no idea. The GSX1100G has the exact same engine and uses 36mm carbs stock. The 90-92 GSXR 750
                (smaller piston bore) uses 38mm carbs stock. Using 38mm flat slides on an 1100 will not cause a noticeable loss in torque and it will increase top end. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just telling you facts.

Comment

That part I know what I need is a part number for the boots. That is the desperately part.

GSXR750 boots, number in bold represents the cylinder it goes too...

13101-17D10
                  13102-17D10
                  13103-17D10
                  13104-17D10

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  I disagree with this whole heatedly. Bill, I fully understand where you are coming from. In general the smaller the carburetor bore, the more torque. Carburetor size goes hand and hand with piston bore size. A 750 uses 36mm carbs and it has a smaller piston bore than an 1100. Why the Katana 1100 uses 34mm carbs, I have no idea. The GSX1100G has the exact same engine and uses 36mm carbs stock. The 90-92 GSXR 750
                  (smaller piston bore) uses 38mm carbs stock. Using 38mm flat slides on an 1100 will not cause a noticeable loss in torque and it will increase top end. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just telling you facts.

Chris, do you know for sure that the 38mm flat sides will match up with those boots listed above? All information I've researched says yes, but that doesn't replace parts in hand checking I know.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

No, I do not have any knowledge of what RS carbs fit what intake boots. I've never personally done it. I didn't mention anything about the boot. I just know using 38mm carbs on an 1100 won't cause a negative loss in torque.

Comment

GSXR750 boots, number in bold represents the cylinder it goes too...

13101-17D10
                      13102-17D10
                      13103-17D10
                      13104-17D10

Thank you I will try these the ones that I purchased are 17E0. There's another guy on the boards doing the same thing he had the 17C0 boots.

Chris, do you know for sure that the 38mm flat sides will match up with those boots listed above? All information I've researched says yes, but that doesn't replace parts in hand checking I know.

Krey
                      Thank you.I will try these the ones that I purchased are 17E0. There's another guy on the boards doing the same thing he had the 17C0 boots that did not line up.

Comment

Thank you.I will try these the ones that I purchased are 17E0. There's another guy on the boards doing the same thing he had the 17C0 boots that did not line up.

You may be able to find some who have done this on the GSXR boards, and perhaps they can confirm those are indeed going to match.

KRey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                          GSX1100G - 36mm carbs - 99Nm Torque
                          GSX1100F - 34mm carbs - 112 Nm Torque

A 2mm (6%) difference in carbs loses 13 Nm (12%) of torque.
                          qed

nb: Camshafts are not the same and the G only puts out 94 HP versus the Kat's 136.

Last edited by Wild-Bill; 06-23-2014, 07:00 AM.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

GSX1100G - 36mm carbs - 99Nm Torque
                            GSX1100F - 34mm carbs - 112 Nm Torque

A 2mm (6%) difference in carbs loses 13 Nm (12%) of torque.
                            qed

nb: Camshafts are not the same and the G only puts out 94 HP versus the Kat's 136.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...1100g%2091.htm
                            I think gearing can replace the loss

Comment

Gearing a can't replace the loss, it's a give and take thing on gearing, better torque less top end. Smaller carbs is a known way of building torque.
                              Last edited by 92xjunker; 09-02-2015, 09:42 PM.
                              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran
                              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                              X