New to me 1990 1100

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me 1990 1100

Hello all,
    After having left behind every scrap of my comfortable reality behind me just about five months ago, I am getting back on a Kat.
    After riding just about 40K miles on my 1995 750 I have become quite comfortable with her. But, when I came to Japan no one (in the riding scene of course) knew what one was off the top of their head, nor had anyone seen one before. I was in shock. Japan didn't have Katanas. So, that made me want one even more.
    So, my searches lead me to Auctions.yahoo.co.jp and my searches found nothing more than a few accessories for these bikes.
    As a side note, the retro Kat's are super popular here. And abundant. End side note.
    After a few weeks of prowling for a bike that would fit my meager budget, it happened. A guy in the same city as me (a long walking distance) was selling not one, but two Kat 1100's. One was navy blue and a first year which I avoided and the other was a 1990 and maroon, which I did not avoid because it was newer.
    I bid and got the bike and all the associated fees (tax, Shaken, name change and 2 years of liability insurance) for Y221000, which is roughly $2210.00. The Shaken office is packed as it is close to the end of the year, so I can actually ride her home early January.

I'm pretty excited. I looked her over from tire to tire, and everything seems clean aside from the chain, which has some Japan on it - I mean rust. But, coming from Albuquerque New Mexico to Japan I will have to learn to deal with moisture.

She has about 12K miles on her.

4 into 1 Devil exhaust, and I am guessing the carb has been jetted to suit.

Everything works like a charm.

Any thoughts? What should I know? Any advice on this bike?

And anyone in Japan? lol

Thanks,
    Adam
    Attached Files

Looks very nice!
    I wouldn't assume it has a jet kit - better pop open the carbs and verify. Won't even have to pull them off the bike, just take off the tops and pull out the needles. I'm not an expert but as far as I know very few places came stock with adjustable needles.
    Carbs might also need a cleaning if the bike has been fitting. Check out carbs 101.
    Good luck, enjoy the new ride!!
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Now thats rather nice.
      sigpic
      "Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire."

Comment

Nice find

as for advice.....simple really. Don't dump it! Other than that it's just regular maintenance. those kats are pretty much bulletproof.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Looks good and that is a nice color, have fun.

Comment

Very nice, Congrats on the find.
            Do the thing you fear most, and the Death of fear is most certain.

Comment

looks really nice , but those tires look like the originals and are probably hard as plastic n just as grippy ,takes it easy till ya get used to it and enjoy

Comment

Congratulations, you've found a very pretty big kat

Best thing to do would be to give her a really good service, if something isn't quite right you're sure to find it during this service

Best of luck, Colin.
                Carpe Jugulum...
                1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Working...
                X