Rear suspension linkages

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear suspension linkages

Hi
    has any one fitted grease niples on the suspension links on the 1100? I looked at mine today with a veiw to replacing the bearings in the swing arm and the suspension links. As I was looking it dawned on me there is no way to get grease into these bearings.
    I have a box of 1/8th BSP grease niples in my tool box looking for a purpose to serve, so im thinking when the links and arm are out I will drill and tap to take the niples.
    Any thoughts on the idea pros or cons.

Cheers
    sigpic
    "Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire."

Definitely an interesting idea. If you go ahead with it post up and let us know how it works out!
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I have no idea what the 1100 links look like but sounds beneficial.
      94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

The suspension isn't setup for zirk fittings to be used, you'll have to fill the entire cavity with pressurized grease to even reach the actual bearings, the result could be very hazardous to your health when it leaks out in the path of the rear wheel.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          The suspension isn't setup for zirk fittings to be used, you'll have to fill the entire cavity with pressurized grease to even reach the actual bearings, the result could be very hazardous to your health when it leaks out in the path of the rear wheel.
          Good point!

I may have a look at machining new pins for the suspension links from 316 stainless steel. If i did that I think id put small bore drillings (1/32 inch) along the pins with cross holes to feed the grease into what in the service book looks like needle roller bearings. doing this would lessen the need for large amounts of grease to be pumped in.
          The swing arm looks to be reasonably easy to put a nipple on with out the risk of grease finding the back wheel.
          That all said 92xJunker does make a very valid and sensible point about grease finding the back tyre.
          sigpic
          "Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire."

Comment

even if you only give it one pump of grease periodically it would work its way around an you wouldn't have to disassemble it to repack it with grease. During drilling etc im sure it would be clean then id probably hand pack them and use the fitting as a maintenance almost and clean off any excess. Benefits being no disassembly and blasts of fresh grease here and there instead of being neglected. But who knows if a hole in it will eff something up, my luck being it snaps or some shit lol
            94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

I think it would be a huge amount of work for nothing gained. I also think that the needle bearing outer race would need to be damaged to get it to work in putting grease where you want it.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
              X